Chapter Thirty Four

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

After a week in Maui, everyone was just… content.

My parents went on morning and afternoon walks daily out by the beach, always coming back smiling. They also went out to breakfast at their usual spots, always ordering the same meal.

Becka and Taylor were taking surfing classes, even though Taylor already knows how to surf. We all know he’s just doing it to show off for Becka.

And then Ryan and I have been spending our days and nights on the beach, vedging in the sand and playing out in the waves. We’d gone snorkeling with Becka and Taylor a few days back too, it was… interesting. Right now, we each have our beach towels, laying out on the sand, listening to the waves crash in the background.

I turned to face him, watching his deep breaths suck in his stomach muscles and then let go. I never got over his looks, but then again, who could? He’s a freaking model. Seriously. I turned my attention to his face, squinting from the sun’s rays. His hair was wet and waved from being out in the water only moments ago, his body still dripping tiny drops of water off into the sand.

I thought back to our week, how fun everything had been. However, I couldn’t help but think to next week, when school would start up again and I’d be starting college. Along with that, Ryan would be leaving and I don’t know when I’d see him again.

“Are you happy?” I asked abruptly.

Ryan lifted his head up and laid on his elbows.

“Sorry,” I sighed. “It just came out.”

He smiled his goofy smile, “I’ve never been happier.”

He leaned forward more and softly kissed my lips.

I looked out to the waves, taking my sunglasses off.

“What’s on your mind?” he asked.

I bit my lip and looked back at him, “What are we going to do about me going to college and you going back to your job?”

There was a silence as Ryan thought of how to answer. I waited, but he said nothing.

“That’s what I was worried about.” I sighed again.

“We’ll work it out.”

I nodded, trying to believe what he said.

“You’re going to be eleven hours away.” I looked in his eyes. “And constantly traveling for shoots and movies.”

He nodded, “I know.”

“So how will I be able to see you?” my heart sank as I chocked out the words. “What if… it doesn’t work out?”

Ryan shook his head quickly, “No, no that won’t happen. I’ll do everything in my power to make things work.” His hand reached for mind.

I held back tears, “What if we forget what it’s like… feeling like this…”

He shook his head more and lifted my face up, wiping away the single tear down my cheek.

“I will never forget.” His voice was firm and steady.

Looking into his eyes, I knew he was right. And yet, that pained me. Because if he did forget, things would only hurt that much more.

“I will love you,” Ryan promised.

I smiled with wet cheeks, “Always and forever.”

Still, as he kissed me, I wondered how long forever could last.