Chapter Twenty

Recap Chapter Nineteen

"Kristen..." I heard her speak cautiously. "Fine. I'll tell you, but you have to swear not to tell anyone."

Tell her what? Who's her? And what is so important that she is staying quiet about?

CHAPTER TWENTY

-PAULA-

"Hold on Kristen, I think I hear something outside. I'll call you back." I whispered, putting my cell phone down on the bed and walking over to the door slowly.

I leaned my ear against the door and heard breathing. Ohmygosh... there is a zombie at my door. Wait no, zombies don't exist.

I swung the door open quickly and saw Ryan standing there dumbfounded.

"What the hell are you doing?" I demanded in a yell.

He just stared and shook his head, keeping his eyes on mine.

Just now did I realize that he was shirtless, standing there in front of me in nothing but his pajama sweats. I gulped and realized I wasn't wearing a bra and my underwear wasn't Ryan-Proof for seeing. I took a tiny step back and began breathing heavy as his eyes kept on mine.

Why is his stare so intense?! He couldn't be thinking the same as me... Right?

A flashback of the night in the kitchen when he first started living with us ran through my brain and my face flushed.

Ryan seemed to feel the same way because he caught my looks and walked quickly towards me, crushing his lips against mine. His fingers laced through my hair and his free hand pulled my lower back closer to him.

I could resist no longer.

I kissed back against the warmth of his lips and continued to move with him as he led me to the wall. He began kissing down my neck slowly as I gripped his shoulders.

He began nibbling on my neck and then moving his nose across my jaw, teasing me by not allowing me to kiss his lips. In attempt to get closer to him, I moved my hands up his neck and tangled my fingers through his black hair. Why wouldn't he just kiss me already?!

He lifted his face up so that we were eye to eye and stayed frozen for a second.

"Who do you love Paula?" he asked softly.

My heart sank. Why did he need to bring this up now? Everything was going so well... Wait. Had he heard me on the phone talking to Kristen?

"You were eavesdropping." I accused in a teasing tone.

His eyes stayed serious.

I sighed and pulled my arms back to my side.

"Ryan... I can't..." I shook my head. "I can't do this right now."

He nodded and looked down.

"So it's him, isn't it?"

I shook my head, "I don't know... I thought I did but..." I looked down too.

Ryan stayed paralyzed for a few seconds before he got up and walked out of the room.

What had I just done?

The next morning I got up and walked to the kitchen after changing. Ryan was nowhere to be seen.

I walked to the fridge and took out the milk and searched for a bowl for cereal. On my way to the pantry I saw a piece of paper on the counter. Stopping to pick it up, I recognized Ryan's handwriting immediately.

I have a meeting with my agent today at nine. It'll take a while, but I'll be back before dinner. There is an extension to dial for a limo to take you anywhere you want. My card's on my night stand.  -me