Chapter Thirteen

Recap From Chapter Twelve

"You said you and Paula weren't a thing right? Nothing's going on between you two. You said you were hardly friends."

I nodded slowly.

Another wild grin flashed upon his face. Oh what I'd do if I could just smack that grin off his face. Too bad the paparazzi would turn it against me and everyone would be reading about how terrible of a person I am in the next few days.

"So you can keep a secret from her then?" he persisted.

"Sure." I said through my teeth.

He leaned in closer, motioning for me to do the same.

"The real reason I came back this summer is to-"

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

I walked to the back of the house and saw Anthony playing video games.

"Hey did you wanna see me?" I asked in the doorway.

"Uhm, no?"

I folded my arms, "Well Ryan said one of you needed me and no one else is home."

"Maybe he just wanted you to leave?" he hinted, looking up at me.

I held my arms up, "Okay, okay. I've got the hint."

I stormed back into the living room, but shortly paused as I could see Ryan and Sam whispering and I could hear my name being tossed around in the conversation.

"So you can keep a secret from her then?"

I pulled away and out of sight as Ryan agreed. I couldn't believe them! They were talking about me! Behind my back! What the hell!

I came out from around the corner and stood in front of them. Sam was the one to look up first. It looked like he was holding back a smirk. Usually what I'd expect from Ryan... I looked over to Ryan and he wouldn't look at me. Instead he glared at Sam. Ohmygod is looks like he's gonna kill Sam! Right before I stepped in, Ryan got up and left and went outback. What was that all about?

I looked back to Sam to see him getting up, "I'd better go."

"Why?" I pouted. Why did Ryan have to go and ruin everything?

He smiled, "I'll see you tomorrow night to pick you up before the dance."

I sighed, "Fine. I'll see you then. I can't wait."

In the back of my mind I could hear my inner self arguing. Oh please. You know if you could go with lover boy in the backyard you would. Sam's nothing compared to that sexy beast. I tightened my jaw and fought back.

"See you soon," he lent down and kissed my forehead then left.

I turned, not sure what to make of what just happened and began walking outside. I slid open the screen door angrily and walked to Ryan who was standing at the edge of the pool. Oh, it took some self control not to push him in right then and there.

"What was all of that about?" I demanded.

He turned and gave me an indescribable look.

What was so important that he couldn't tell me about? What wasn't I supposed to know?

"Did something happen?" I asked, hoping nothing went on in between Sam and Ryan that I couldn't control. He just shook his head.

"He just told me how you guys are going to your prom together. That's it."

I hesitated to reply, knowing that wasn't all he had to say. But before I could say anything he placed a too-wide-of a grin on his face and slipped on his sunglasses.