Jake

«Unedited so point out my mistakes and I'll fix them»

As we sat outside eating breakfast that Saturday, I looked around at the three people who had put the smile on my face.

Granddaddy was telling us stories about idiot criminals he had arrested, MamaKay told us some animal fail stories, and Jake talked about stupid things he and Austin had done.

The sun seemed to be shining just right and there was a crisp breeze. My spirits were soaring.

I was so happy.

With Jake there, it was like having Austin back. It didn't hurt as much to wake up in the morning and remember that my family wouldn't be there to tell me good morning.

Oh yeah, let me catch you guys back up.

~~~~~

MamaKay and Granddaddy sat in their recliners while I sprawled across the old, plaid couch attempting to do homework. It was Tuesday and I had gotten a butt load of make up work. Although, a crap ton of work was an okay trade for the day I had spent with Colby.

The tv spoke softly around the room and Trigger's breath came in deep waves of sleep. I had just thrown down my pencil in frustration when I heard the buzz of my phone.

"Hello?" I asked. I didn't have a ringtone set for that number, but I answered anyway, thinking it was some telemarketer or something.

"Hey Kendall, it's Jake, Austin's friend."

My heart sagged at the mention of my brother's name as my hand instinctively reached for the tags around my neck, but I quickly pushed my feelings aside and smiled at his idiocy. "I remember you, bodaggit."

Jake had been Austin's best friend for as long as I could remember. He was basically part of the family. The only reason he hadn't changed his name to Jake Jax is because... well... that just doesn't sound right.

They had decided to join the Army together. Jake and Austin both loved their country and wanted to defend it.

They were so close. Together, they had actually been on leave for a few months when the accident happened. I hadn't even thought about how hard it had been on him....

I stood up from the couch and made my way outside towards the dock as I felt a wave of emotions hit me, hoping the water would clear my head.

He laughed. "Yeah, yeah. I'm pretty unforgettable, huh?" He joked.

"That you are, Beanpole. That you are."

I could hear the smile playing on his lips. "So, I'm going to be in town for a couple days and I--"

"Cali or Kansas?" I wasn't sure if he knew that I had moved.

"Kansas. I have a friend that lives a few towns from your grandparents'." Jake had come with us to Kansas multiple times when we visited MamaKay and Granddaddy. "I was wondering if maybe... I don't know... I could come see you guys. I guess I just... I just want to remember what it was like when I was around the whole family. You know?"

His voice dripped with emotion and seeped into me. I leaned over and let my tears fall into the lake.

I sniffed and cleared my throat. "Yeah, that'd be great."

~~~~~

Jake showed up at our front door three days later. Being five years older than I was, he towered over me... just like Austin had.

Everything about him reminded me of my late brother. His voice, his smell, his embrace, it all triggered wonderful pre-accident memories. At first, it hurt. But then it made it feel like nothing had ever happened and that everything was okay again. Austin was home and Mom and Dad would walk in the door at any minute. Jake made me feel normal again and I loved it.