Cramps

I woke up in excruciating pain. I thought I was dying. No, I WISHED I was dying.

It was that time of month again.

For a second, the pain subsided and I thought I would make it through the day. But as I began to swing my legs over the side of my bed, my theory was proven wrong.

A strangled cry escaped my throat as another wave of cramps hit. I curled up into a ball and rocked myself, hoping to ease the pain. But no matter what position I tried, I couldn't make it stop.

Trigger was towering over me barking, knowing something was wrong.

Before long, Granddaddy and MamaKay had barreled down the steps and were heavily breathing in my doorway.

I felt like I would explode. It hurt so much that tears slid down my face.

On top of my pain, rain pelted my windows and doors.

It's definitely a Monday.

Granddaddy came to my side as MamaKay went to my bathroom to get the medicine I wanted so badly. His large, wrinkly hand rubbed my back as he sang an old hymn. No, he wasn't the best singer but in the moment, it was all I needed.

Because of my grandfather's soothing motions, my cramps began to subside. By the time my grandmother had gotten me water, medicine, and a heating pad, the pain had settled to the back of my stomach and was a burn rather than a clenching, stabbing type pain.

Trigger lay at my side as my guardians went up to make breakfast. I was propped up on many pillows and the tv was quietly playing. Once Granddaddy had stopped rubbing my back, the awful sin returned to my gut. I thanked Trigger for being such a wonderful dog because I had my body completely latched on to his in an attempt to get comfortable.

I had texted Charlie and told her why I wouldn't be at school that day and she said she'd make up a story for the guys.

To top off everything, I couldn't even sleep through it. My cramps were so bad to the point that sleep wouldn't even bless me.

Finally, after breakfast had been brought down to me, devoured and taken back up, I began to doze off... only to be interrupted by my bedroom door creaking slowly open.

I figured it was MamaKay with some water or another dose of medicine and I was upset that she had so rudely awakened me.

"Just put it on the night stand." I said grogily, my cheek smashed into the mattress.

"Do you not want to see what I got first?"

I startled awake at the sudden change in voice. It was a man's but not Granddaddy's.

"Colby?" I asked after seeing his tall form in my doorway.

"Hey. How ya feelin'?"

"Shouldn't you be in school?" I asked.

"Not if you're sick. But really, how do you feel?"

I wanted to tell him that I felt like crap but I couldn't stop wondering how he found out I was dying... sort of.

I just sat there and stared at him for a second. He stared back. It wasn't awkward, it was just two teenagers noticing the others presence. But even then, I could still feel something deeper.

"How did you know?" I asked, finally.

He laughed, walked over to me, and answered as he began to unload the contents of his bags. "C'mon. 'Oh, she's got company in today. Her aunt or something.'" He gave me a look. "You don't expect me to believe that, do you?"