12| Competition

Aaron didn't show up the next morning at Jerry's. For a moment I thought that maybe he had forgotten where the restaurant was, or maybe he had overslept, but then another part of me figured I couldn't be too upset since I did bail on him twice. Therefore, I didn't exactly blame him, but a warning would be nice before I got up early to come here. I wonder where he could be.

Slightly flustered I ordered some coffee to go then headed towards Jasper's workshop.

Jasper, I smiled to myself.

It was odd coming into his lecture now with a completely different perspective of him. Almost every day it changes. One day I'm nervous of him, then I can't stand him, then I desire him, and now he can be almost considered a friend. A friend that has history with me no doubt, but I wasn't nearly as nervous anymore. There's something about talking for hours about poetry and literature that take away that fear and intimidation about a person.

Regardless of how I viewed him, one thing remains: he was my professor. And as such I need to focus more on that aspect rather than ogle at his body no matter how nice it is. I came here for a reason, and it wasn't to throw everything away for a drunken hook up in an elevator. My parents raised me better than that. I am going to push down any repressed feelings towards the man and focus on why I am here. I am going to gain knowledge that will help me be successful. Because the reality is this convention only lasts a week, and once that week is over, there is no going back.

So until then it is time for me to become the person I wanted to be. It is time to put my attention on my work rather than Jasper.

With the new-found determination running through my mind I straightened my shoulders and practically marched towards my workshop. Today is a new day. I am early, I am fearless, I am not going to be distracted by a pair of dark eyes no matter how alluring they are, and I am going to be successful. I am worthy, I am smart, I am--

My train of thought was cut off when my phone began to ring.

I stopped a few feet from the workshop to look at it in annoyance. At first I thought it was Aaron calling me to apologize when I noticed the number and nearly dropped it. I answered the phone quicker than you can say 'Shakespeare'.

"Hello?" I breathed pressing the phone to my ear.

There was a small static noise until I heard the familiar low voice. "Hello? Al, can you hear me?"

My heart took off excitedly. It was really him!

"Ben?!"

It sounded like someone was scratching the receiver. "Hey Al! Can you hear me alright?"

"No not really," I shook my head although he couldn't see me. "You sound a little muffled."

"Damnit, hold on," a few strange noises came from his end until the static sound stopped. "How about now?"

I smiled. "Much better!"

"Sweet! Anyways, good morning!" he paused briefly. "It is morning where you are at, right?"

That made me chuckle. "Yes, it is. Where are you at?"

"Uh, well right now I'm in a little village near the heart of Madagascar," he informed. "I'm not really sure what the name is, but it has an awesome view of the beach!"

I began walking away from the door and around the corner for more privacy. "That sounds great! I can't believe that you can reach me from all the way over there."

"Yeahh, well . . . it's a long story," he laughed nervously.

He has been known to do some illegal things to get in contact with us once or twice. We made a vow not to discuss it with him though. So instead I changed the subject. "How's building houses going?"