Chapter 4

“Set Fire to the Rain”

2011 © All Rights Reserved  

Chapter 4

September 16, 2011

The time had finally arrived.  Down stairs a multitude of people awaited her to kick off the party of the year.  Everything was in place, the decorations were hung, the catered food had been carefully laid out, the music was already pumping through the state of the art sound system that her parents had rented and Hope had a small bag packed and a motel room booked for her special little after party with Joey.  Every detail had been attended to and their was nothing left to do but enjoy her evening.

Hope stared at her reflection in the mirror and smiled.  Eighteen.  She was finally eighteen years old, a consenting legal adult.  Her hair was done up in an elegant classic do and her dress fit perfectly.  She put on a final dab of lipstick and she was done.  “Perfect” she muttered.  Everything was perfect, Hope told herself as she stood.

She walked towards the bed and picked up the white lacy scarf she was planning to wear in order to hide that cursed mark on the back of her neck.  It was still radiating a slow burn when Hope ran her fingers curiously over the raised skin.  What in the hell does it all mean, she wondered once again.  Blowing out a sigh of frustration she was determined that whatever it was she would not let it interfere with her plans for a perfect night.  Nope, that mark was not going to be a nuisance tonight she told herself determinedly and wrapped the scarf around her neck as a sign of a finality.  

Hope stopped at the full length mirror on the back of her door for one final look over.
“Hope Masters” she said aloud.  “This is your night to shine.  You better do it right girl!” she added before taking in a deep breath, opening her bedroom door and stepping out in the hall.

Entering the hall the music floated up to Hope’s ears easily setting her mood.  J Lo’s song “On the Floor” was echoing through the house bringing everything to life.  Descending the stairs with her held high Hope was already swaying with the beat.  She hit the bottom stair when a low whistle from behind caught her attention.

Turning, Joey was standing there with half a dozen of pink roses eyeing here up and down appreciatively.  Hope could only smile at the glint in his eyes.  This was her man and by the end of the night they he was the one that would take her innocence and make her a full fledged woman.  She couldn’t wait.

“You are absolutely beautiful” he stated kicking up the corners of his mouth in a breath taking smile of his own.

Hope sauntered towards him and adjusted his tie.  “You know babe, you’re not so bad yourself,” she told him patting his cheek affectionately.

“Really” he replied looking down at her with a flicker of amusement in his eyes.

Hope looked up at Joey and batted her eyelashes playfully before awarding him with a quick peck on his lips, “really” she stated.

Joey pulled Hope into his arms and held her close to his chest.  For a solitary moment they just stood in the foyer arms embracing each other before Joey spoke again.

“Are you sure your ready for tonight baby?”  he asked her trying to hide the excitement in his voice.

Hope pulled back and looked up at him, “Oh, I’m ready” she told him with confidence.  “In fact, that is the only thing that I have thought about all day long” she added standing on her toes to nibble on his cleanly shaven chin.

“Good” Joey said bending down to brush a kiss on her lips.  “Me too,” and with that he dipped down again and kissed Hope the way that he had been wanting to from the moment that he seen her start down the stairs.