Chapter 6

“Set Fire to the Rain”

2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 6

Hope slowly opened her eyes and blinked rapidly several times while she struggled to gain her bearings.  What time was it?  Where am I?  What happened?  Were just a few of the questions she asked herself while glancing around at what appeared to be some sort of an old abandoned mine.

Looking up she spotted Liam with his head leaned back and eyes closed.  It was then that she realized that her own head was lying in his lap.  Another mystery, she mused.  That was the singular moment that all of the memories came flooding back in a tidal wave of pictures and scenes; her party, the pain, the drive in Liam’s truck, more intense pain and the glowing light that radiated from her skin.  No these were not memories, these were dreams.  They had to be some type of bad dreams.

“What the hell happened?” she muttered trying to force her self into an upright position.  Hope could sense that whatever happened was something monumental, something that would probably change her life forever but she was clueless as to what that “something” exactly was.

Liam opened his eyes to see Hope sitting up, taking in her surroundings.  He could see that she was confused and worked to force him self to wake.  “Morning” he said in a tone that was still slightly groggy and heavily sleep filled.

Hope turned to Liam and narrowed her gaze on him.  “What the hell happened to me last night?” she demanded angrily.  She could see that he was just waking, but Hope wanted some answers and she wanted them now.  It was also apparent that Liam Goler was the only one who had those answers that she was desperately seeking.

“I see that someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning” Liam replied moving to stand up and stretch his arms above his head. 

“I didn’t wake up in a bed” Hope bit out between gritted teeth.  “I woke up in some godforsaken mine on a dirt floor smelling like a….like a pig and heck if I know how or why I am here.  Would you like to fill me in just a little bit, cause right now, I’m drawing an awful lot of blanks.”  She was barely holding on as it was and what little patience she had left was quickly dissipating in the presence of the imposing man called Liam Goler. 

Liam scowled down at her.  That Disney Princess arrogant attitude was shining brightly now.  “Sit” he told her and “I’ll tell you what I know”.

Hope looked around and went to stand against the wall.  “I think I’ll stand” she told him curling her nose up at the floor.  She  was filthy as it was, no need to add any more dirt splotches to her.

Liam rolled his eyes and strode over to where an old crate was stacked against the wall.  Flipping it over he took a seat and peered back up at Hope thinking about where would be the best place to start talking.

Blowing out a breath, Liam cocked his head to the side and asked her again, “You sure you don’t want to sit down?”  He was getting ready to turn her world upside down, inside out and probably even a little sideways.  He would feel a heck of a lot more comfortable if she was seated when he delivered the news.

Hope shook her head no and crossed her arms over her chest.  Her face was stubbornly set with her chin slightly jutted out and for a second Liam struggled to hide his sudden urge to smile.  Miss Disney Princess was quite a sight with her sweat stained party dress, her hair mussed disorderly and wearing the expression of what one could only describe as one very pissed off petulant child.

“Just spill it” Hope finally snapped when she caught the hint of a smile on Liam’s face.  This was getting down right annoying now and she felt that after her night of hell that she at least deserved some straight answers, daggoneit.