Chapter 22

“Set Fire to the Rain”

2011 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 22

    “Collar them,” Joey instructed, not once taking his eyes off of Liam.

    “Hey, that wasn’t part of the deal,” Liam argued, taking a step back.  “You said that she could go as long as I handed over the amulet.”

    Joey smiled back at him, “And she will, after I have the amulet in my possession.”  Two of his guys stepped around him; each with a metallic collar in their hands.  One headed towards Hope and the other towards Liam.

    “What?” Joey smirked.  “Do you not trust me Liam?”

    Liam narrowed his eyes.  “Is that supposed to be some sort of rhetorical question?," he asked, shaking his head in disbelief.  "And for the record, hell no, I don’t trust you.”  Seething, he placed his hands on his hips and quietly focused on gathering his power around him.

    With one energetic pulse he froze the two men that were headed towards Hope and him with those damnable collars.  He knew what they could do; they would make him powerless and that was not an option while Hope was still vulnerable. 

    He wanted her out of here and out of harms way.

    Turning his steely gaze back on Joey Liam sent out another wave of energy, knocking him flat on this ass.  “Either she goes free or we're both out of here and you’ll never get your hands on that amulet.” 

    He was hyper aware of Hope’s attentive gaze on him the entire time but he didn’t once dare take his eyes off of Joey.  His senses were whirling a hundred miles per hour.  All he knew was that he had to get Hope out of here and he had to happen fast.  “Your choice,” he bit out angrily.  “You can have me and the amulet or nothing at all.”

    Joey sat up just enough to look Liam in the eyes.  He let out a scathing chuckle and shook his head.  “You know what Liam, I think I’ve change my mind.”

    “What?!” he roared in outrage.  His whole plan hinged on the Secret Services wanting the amulet.  That was his card on getting Hope out of this mess.  Joey couldn’t change his mind. 

     Not now. 

    He took a second to glance in Hope’s direction just in time to catch a fourth person that had snuck up behind her and it was at that very second he realized that all hell was about to break loose.    

    “No!” He hollered just as they snapped the collar around her neck rendering her powerless.  The look of surprise and fear in her eyes was his undoing.  He gathered the power that was whirling around him like and angry tornado and held up his hands; ready to unleash all of it when he felt a stinging prick in his neck.

    Joey, now standing; wagged his finger back and forth.  “Nah uh,” he told him.  “I don’t think so freak boy.  Not this time anyway.”

    Liam felt his powers drain out of him.  Frantically, he concentrated on trying to draw them back into his body only to feel…nothing.  He couldn’t even gather a flicker of energy.  His eyes started to feel heavy and his limbs felt like lead.  He snapped his head up with what strength he had left and with his tongue feeling dead in his mouth he slurred his words.  “Whaa-at ded yo-uuu do to mee?”

    “You’re feeling it now aren’t you?” Joey said, amusement filling his voice.  “Your feeling the heaviness,” he said coming closer.  “You feel like your very life is draining out of you.”

    Liam fell to his knees and braced himself on his hands in an effort to hold his head up.  “Gggo to hell,” he managed to say; staring at the ground.  He was trying with everything in him to stand back up but whatever they injected in him, he couldn’t fight it.  He was falling and he was falling fast.