Chapter 20

“Set Fire to the Rain”

2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 20

    “What’s wrong?” Liam asked, sitting up on the bed.  He knew instinctively that there was a problem when Hope started to pace the room.  Her back was rigid and her voice had become clipped.  Even after she hung up the phone, she continued her manic pacing and he could feel the steady rise in her energy as it began to swirl chaotically around the room.

        At the sound of Liam’s voice, she stopped in the middle of the room, not daring to face him.  Hope wasn’t at all sure exactly what to say.  If she just came out and told him that the Secret Service had Bethany then he might try to talk her out of going to the meeting place.  But if she didn't say anything, she had no hopes of saving Bethany on her own.

     "Hope?"

     Hope turned around and faced Liam.  The concern on his face touched her deeply.  She wanted to go to him and tell him that it was okay but the truth of the matter was; it wasn't okay and it would probably never be okay, at least as long as the Secret Service was out there hunting their kind.

     "They have her," she stated gravely.  She knew that she had to tell him, it was the only way if she had any real hopes of saving her friend. 

     Liam stiffened.  "They have who Hope?"

     She closed her eyes, remembering how malicious Joey had been when he discovered the truth about her.   Found out that she was a Lyric and then the prejudice that followed.  She remembered all too well the hatred that burned bright in his eyes.

     "Bethany," she breathed out sadly.  "They have Bethany, Liam."

     Liam dropped his head to his chest.  It was unlike the Secret Service to pull a human in the fight but this was only a sign that the times are changing.  Each new generation of the Secret Service was worse than the one before but even for them, this was a whole new kind of low. 

     "I'm going to get her Liam," Hope spoke determinedly. 

     It took a whole minute before her words found their way past his thoughts.  Realizing what she was saying, Liam lifted his head and their gazes met.  "I have to get her out of there."

     "No," he said quietly at first.  Images of what all could happen if Joey or any of those other ingrates managed to get their hands on her assaulted him in mass.  Standing up, he crossed the room and grabbed her by the shoulders.  "No," he said again, more firmly this time.  "I will not let you place yourself in that kind of danger.  Not even for Bethany."

     Hope tried to jerk back from him, her power surging forward but he held steady with power of his own, keeping her locked in place.  "You can't stop me," she challenged.

     "I can," he said between gritted teeth, "And I will.  I will do what ever I have to in order to keep you safe."