Chapter 13

"Set fire to the Rain"

2011 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 13

Hope went for the door and was instantly brought to a halt when Joey reached across her chest and grabbed her hand; effectively stopping her. 

"Where do you think you are going?"  He asked while tightening the grip he had around her wrist.  His hand was like a shackle that held her there in his car.

Hope flinched from the accusation in his tone and tried to jerk away from his hold.  Her heart was beating wildly at the revelation that Joey knew exactly what she was.  Fear filled her from head to toe as she watched him narrow his eyes on her and a dangerous glint burned so bright in them.  "I...I need to leave," she told him, trying to swallow past the tight knot that had formed in her throat.

"Forget it.  You're not going anywhere, Hope.  You are one of them and it is my duty to report you," he added with a bitter laugh of his own.  "All this time," he said shaking his head back and forth in disbelief, "I have hunted for a god damn Lyric and there was one right under my nose the whole time.  The whole time you have been within my grasp and I didn't even have a clue.  Your good," he told her, "But not good enough."

Joey's tone had turned angry.  He could not believe that he had been had.  "And to think that I thought I loved you," he sneered, roughly pulling her against his chest.  "You're not even human."

To him she was a tool.  A mechanism for the Secret Service to use for the good of the Country.  Not human enough to deserve his love.

Hope froze in his arms.  She could not believe that this was the same Joey that she had dated, kissed, talked with and even considered going to bed with.  His sweet temperament that she once thought she was so in love with had soured and now she knew that she was in the grips of a monster. 

"Wha.. what are you planning on doing with me?"  She stuttered.  She struggled to keep her tone as neutral as possible despite the turmoil that she was actually feeling.  She was determined to keep a cool head until she figured out her next move. 

Joey grunted and let his hands slide down the length of her arms.  "First of all, as a member of the service I am going to have to turn you in," he stated very matter of factly.  His hands continued to absent mindedly trail across her stomach and to the hem of her shirt, finally skittering across her bare stomach.  "It's a shame to have to turn such a beautiful piece over but, you see, my honor requires me to do so." 

Hid hand continued its exploration of her body, moving ever so slowly up towards her chest.  Hope cringed when his fingers rubbed the swell under her breast.  A touch that she had once  imagined to take her so many pleasurable places, now made her stomach turn nauseous. 

Biting back the bile that was building in her throat she croaked out and tried to reason with him. "You don't have to do that Joey. We can make this our little secret."  She was hoping to somehow appeal to the old him, the one that she was familiar with before her powers came to light but the snarl on his face told her that he was not going to let that happen.