Chapter 7

“Set Fire to the Rain”

2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 7

Hope stayed quiet as they drove out of the woods and headed back for the city.  She was beside herself, none of this could possibly be real.  What she had just witnessed back there in those woods was something that her wild imagination had cooked up.  It had to be.  There was no way that anyone could make her believe that she made all of those tress fall, no way in hell.

“Are you alright?” Liam asked Hope worriedly while pulling the truck out of the woods and on to the main highway.  “You look a little peaked”.  She actually looked as pale as a ghost and scared to death but Liam was smart enough to know that you didn’t say things like that to females unless you wanted your manhood threatened.

“I just want to go home” Hope replied not daring to look in his direction.  She was very careful to keep her gaze fastened on the road that was ahead of them.  She still wasn’t exactly sure about Liam Goler's role in any of this and at this point she didn’t even care.  All she wanted to do was to go home and forget that any of this had ever happened.  

“I know that” he answered back softly and slid a glance in her direction.  He had this gut feeling that she still didn’t fully understand what being a Lyric was all about.  Blowing out a deep breath of air he went on, “there is something else you need to know Hope, I mean about being a Lyric.”

Hope cut him a look that so sharp that if looks could kill then he would surely be dead right about now.  ‘I don’t want to know anything else Liam, just take me home and I don’t ever want to talk about last night or this morning ever again.  Do you understand me Liam Goler, NEVER AGAIN” she screamed at the end.

Liam was stopped at a red light when he turned back to Hope “This is important, your life may very well depend on this information some day” he said to her in a tone that was as serious as he could be.

“I don’t care” she said curtly still staring rigidly out the front windshield of his truck.  They were only two streets from her house now and she couldn’t wait to put some space between Liam and herself.  Everything he had told her from the time she woke up in that Godforsaken mine freaked her out and she was to the point now that she didn’t think that she could possibly handle anymore.

“Well you better start to care Ms. Disney Princess because if they come after you, then they will likely come after me and I for one value my all unimportant life”  Liam snapped losing his temper in the process.  He tried to tell himself that he really shouldn’t give a flying flip about what the girl sitting in his passenger seat did, if she wanted to get herself killed then more power to her.  He knew how to hide, he had been doing it well enough for the last eighteen years of his life but that damn conscious of his didn’t have the good sense to shut up.  

That got Hope’s attention.  Slowly she turned to Liam and narrowed her gaze on him.  “Who?  Who would be coming after me and why?” she  asked her voice so cold that Liam visibly shivered at her icy tone.

“The Special Forces” he breathed out.  “They are a secret branch in the government that hunt our kind.  They make it their mission to round people like us up and hold us against our will for their own private uses.  They say they want to train us to be the perfect soldiers when all their really after is the perfect killing machines and in case you haven't guessed, with our powers we can be the ultimate tool of death.”

Liam had now stopped in front of Hope's house and parked the truck.  He didn’t make any moves to get out of the seat, instead he looked over at her and tried to read her expression.  She had gone stone cold silent, hopefully this was all starting to finally sink in and she would take it much more seriously.