Chapter 14

"Set Fire to the Rain"

2011 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 14

Liam stood and and took a protective stance in front of Hope.  He glared at Joey before letting his gaze touch on the other men that surrounded them.  Hope reached out and grabbed the back of his shirt, letting her hand slip just beneath the hem so that she could feel the warmth of his skin and the moment that they connected the power between them began to hum in the air.

"Don't even think about it," Joey warned, taking an imposing step forward.  His gun was focused on Hope but his eyes stayed centered on Liam. 

"One little slip of my finger Liam and our pretty little Hope here, well, let's just say she will be out of it for hours on end and in that time I can think of all kinds of things that I would enjoy doing with that fine body of hers."  

Joey made it a point to let his gaze roam over her from head to toe and whispered to himself, "Some real fine things, indeed." 

The guys around them laughed and Hope tried to shrink herself even smaller behind Liam.  She just couldn't believe that this was the same Joey she dated for all those months.  The same one that had once promised her the world. 

With a sickly smile he then nodded his head towards the other guy on his left who had his gun trained on Liam, "And if you even think about drumming up that power of yours, my friend Ted over there will blast you so hard that you won't be able to do a damn thing about it alien boy.  These babies are made especially for your kind and I won't think twice about using it on either of you."

Liam tensed, but kept his face a mask of emotionless expression.  His body was rigid with the only complacency being where Hope's small hand touched the bottom of his back.  "We're not going with you," he said determinedly and felt Hope's fingernails dig slightly into the skin of his back.  

More than anything he wanted to turn around and tell her that it would be okay but that wasn't an option at the moment.  Right now, he had to figure out a way to get them the hell away from this place and away from her deranged ex. 

Slowly, Liam reached behind him and grabbed her hand, intertwining her fingers with his and giving it a gentle squeeze.  He had no doubt that these were elite members of the Secret Service and if they took them into custody that neither Hope nor him would ever see freedom again.  Life as they knew it would be officially over and there was no way that he was willing to let that happen to either of them, not on this day anyway.

"You don't have much of her choice," Joey remarked snidely, narrowing his eyes on Liam who was still crouched in front of Hope.  He took another step forward so that now they were standing so close to each other that if Liam wanted to, he could reach out and grab Joey's leg  

Liam pondered this for a moment.  He could easily bring him to the ground, hit him with a jolt of power, grab Hope and get them both the hell out of there but that would be too obvious.  He needed to do something to catch them off guard if they had a prayer of escaping.