Chapter 21

“Set Fire to the Rain”

2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 21

      Amari watched the new girl whom was slumped over in the corner half asleep.  She looked so vulnerable and young that her heart literally ached for her. 

     What she couldn’t understand was why this human girl was here at the facility in the first place.  It was obvious that she was being held against her will and with the darkening shade on her cheek combined with the dark circles under her eyes; she was pretty sure that the soldiers had been less than hospitable towards her. 

     But why would the Secret Service detain a human?  She asked herself.

     The more she watched the girl, the more she thought about the daughter that she left behind eighteen years ago. 

     Her precious Hope. 

     Through the years she imagined what her blond haired angel would be like now that she was on the cusp of adulthood.  She wondered if she would have been into fashion and boys or if she was more practical and trying to get into a good school.  Either way she had no doubt that by leaving her behind all those years ago was the best thing that she could have done for baby girl, no matter how much it pained her.

     If she had to grow up in the treacherous arms of the Secret Service Amari would have never been able to live with herself.  That was a fate she would wish on no one, least of all her own child.

    It dawned on Amari that the two girls, her beloved daughter and the innocent one sitting before her were probably similar in age.  For that reason alone a fierce maternal instinct flared up in her; one that made her want to protect this child above all else. 

     She knew how callous and un-wielding those soldiers were.  They could be cruel and daunting and extremely intimidating, especially in the face of a young human girl.  Amari knew this because she had been around them for most of her life with the exception of the few weeks that she thankfully escaped and gave birth to Hope.  They didn’t give a damn about anything or anybody but themselves.

     Selfish bastards that they were.  That particular thought burned the back of her throat like gastric acid.  Amari had long since resigned herself to her fate but she would never relish in seeing someone so young be put through the same rigors that she had been forced to experience herself. 

     No, she told herself determinedly.   She would not let this girl be another victim.  There had to be a way to get her out of here.  She had done it once before when the stakes were high, she could do it again.    

     By all that was holy, she was going to get this girl out of this godforsaken place it it was the last thing that she ever did. 

     When Bethany first tried to open her eyes, she had trouble focusing.  She blinked several times and as her vision sharpened she noticed the woman across the room staring at her.  At first, it was the way that older woman was staring at her that rose up the minuscule hairs on the back of her neck; it was unnerving and pretty much gave her the creeps.