Chapter 28

“Set Fire to the Rain”

2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 28

     Hope huddled up against the wall in the well worn oversized tee-shirt that she was given and  carefully watched the woman that she now knew as her mother move back and forth across the room, talking with person after person.  She could feel the thrumming of something humming in the air of the small room they were all being held in, but couldn’t quite pin point what it was. 

     Anticipation maybe?  Whatever it was, the air in the room reeked with it.  She had a suspicious feeling that these vibes she was feeling had something to do with whatever plot her mother was up to.

     “She’s up to something.”  Bethany turned around at the sound of Hopes voice.  She knitted her brows together in confusion, “What do you mean she’s up to something?”

     “My mom,” she gestured in her direction.  “She’s up to something but I can’t quite figure out what it is.”  She drummed her fingers on the floor.

     Right about that time, Amari turned to her daughter and their gazes locked.  No words were spoken but their expressions could tell a story.  Amari’s resolve was set.  She knew what she was going to do no matter what happened whereas Hope was determined.  It was a silent standoff between mother and daughter.

     Knowing that she had to stay focused, Amari was the first to break their conjoined gaze by standing up and moving back to Lachlan’s side.  It was here that she would wait until the time arrived for them to make their all important move. 

     “She’s going to do it again.” This time it was Max that spoke up, sitting opposite of Hope. 

     Confused by his statement, she turned her head to face him and narrowed her eyes before asking him what he meant.  “What is she going to do again?”

      He chuckled but it was a sound that held no humor.  “What do you think?”  His eyes burned a cerulean bright blue at the mere thought.  Only yesterday he never imagined it possible but now that he knew it happened before, the evidence in the girl sitting beside of him, the dream of his own freedom became much more of a reality.  “Escape of course.”

     She rolled her eyes.  After seeing what she had seen, that seemed to be an impossibility.  She had been sitting here for over an hour wracking her brain as she tried to come up with an escape plan herself but so far she was coming up empty.  “We don’t have any power; any weapons not even a freaking butter knife.  And in case you haven’t noticed they are carting some pretty big damn guns too,” she pointed out, loosing faith with each word she spat out.  “How in the hell does she think she is going to escape this hell hole?”

      Max grunted and shook his head.  “You have no faith,” he muttered under his breath.  Turning away from her, he leaned his head against the wall and focused his stare in front of him.  Evidently done saying all that he was going to say. 

      Hope pressed her palms to her forehead.  This was driving her crazy, being in here, locked up like a lab rat.  She also worried about where Liam was and how was he faring.  Would the soldiers hold up their end of the bargain when they got the amulet or would they say fuck you and keep all of them imprisoned? If she was a betting woman; she would put her money on the latter.