Chapter 26

Many thanks to writexmusic for the new cover !!

“Set Fire to the Rain”

2011 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 26

    The van came to an abrupt stop in front of his house.  Liam glanced over at Joey who was sitting in the drivers seat.  Cutting off the ignition, Joey turned and met Liam‘s hard stare.  “You have ten minutes to get the amulet and then get back to the van.  If you even think about getting a wild hair and trying to escape then poor little Hope will  pay for your mistake.  Got it?”

    Liam narrowed his eyes on him.  “I got it alright,” he sneered.   “I’ll be back in five,” he told him, turning to the door and roughly jerking it open.  He was going to get the amulet alright and he would return; but he had his own plans for it.  He would die before he allowed the Secret Service get their grubby hands on his ancestral heirloom.

    Stepping out of the van, he slammed the door closed behind him.  Liam walked around the front of the van and jumped when Joey laid his hand down on the horn.  He turned in his direction and glowered at his smirking face.  He didn’t have time for this.  Joey's time was slowly running out anyways.

     Turning away from him, Liam started once again for his house; taking determined stides up the drive.  Right now, he had to focus on what was important and getting the amulet in his possession was of the utmost importance.

    Jogging up the steps to the porch, he stopped in front of the door.  It took him a minute to dig his keys out of his pocket.  Once he had them, he fumbled to get it the right one in the lock and open the door. 

    Walking in, he wrinkled his nose becuase the house smelled strongly of mildew and must.  It had been several days since he had last been by the place and he made a mental note that when all of this was over and Hope was safe that he would hire someone to come by and thoroughly clean the place.

    Making his way through the darkness of the house, Liam didn’t worry about turning on any lights.  He didn't have to.  He knew exactly where everything was and exaclty where he was going. 

    He continued down the hall and padded through the kitchen, stopping once again in front of the basement door.  Fumbling with his keys once again, he pulled out the smallest one on his ring and stuck it in the key hole, unlocking the basement door. 

     Anything of importance to his family was located in the basement.  His parents had always been adamant about their personal history and they both made sure to drill it into his head at an early age the lengths that he needed to go through to preserve it.

    The numbers for their kind were dwindling because of the Secret Forces and these days it was almost impossible to meet another of their kind outside the immediate family.  That’s why when he met Hope; he was taken completely by surprise.  He never expected to meet another Lyric.  Now he couldn’t even imagine what his life would be like if she had never bumped into him that day or more importantly, what would have happened to her.

    Carefully walking down the steps; Liam used his hand on the wall and used it as a guide  down the narrow stairwell.  Reaching the bottom of the steps, he felt around the corner and flicked on the light switch, illuminating the small basement. 

    He took one cursory look around the room and everything seemed to be just as he left it.  Memories of the past suddenly assaulted him.  His mother, his father, being together as a family.  He closed his eyes as the pain from the past washed over him.  After a long minute passed, he opened them back and remembered the amulet