Chapter 5 - The Truth Comes Out

Chapter 5

As dawn came, the Elves started lining up outside the front gates of Erebor. The Dwarves were lined up on top of it, while I sat above all of them, in my Hawk form, watching my father come down the middle of the army with Bard not too far behind. As my father's Elk got closer to the gate, Thorin lifted a bow with an arrow notched in it, firing at the ground just inches away from the Elk. I noticed my father's eyes widen as he looked up at us.

"I will put the next one between your eyes," Thorin claimed as he raised the bow again. The Dwarves started to cheer and in one swift movement, the entire front half of the Elven army had lifted their bows and pointed them at us, causing the Dwarves to duck. All except Thorin, who remained steady. Lifting his hand, my father motioned for his guards to put their weapons down before speaking.

"We have come to tell you payment of your debt has been offered and accepted," my father's voice echoed throughout the area.

"What payment?" Thorin asked, confused. "I gave you nothing. You have nothing." My father's eyebrows rose as he looked over at Bard, who reached into the inside pocket of his coat, pulling out the glowing Arkenstone.

"We have this," Bard stated and Thorin slowly lowered the bow.

"They have the Arkenstone," Kili muttered. "Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house?" As Kili questioned them, I noticed a change in Thorin. He was staring at the Arkenstone, as if in a trance. "That stone belongs to the King!"

"And the King may have it with our goodwill," Bard announced, placing the Arkenstone back in his pocket. "But first, he must honor his word."

Thorin shook his head slightly, "they are taking us for fools. This is a ruse. A filthy lie. The Arkenstone is in this Mountain! It is a trick!" Taking off from the ledge I was perched on, I landed on the steps behind the Dwarves.

"It's no trick. The stone is real," I confessed, moving through the huddled Dwarves to stand a few feet away from Thorin. "I gave it to them." Thorin turned to look at me, a deadly look in his eyes. The Dwarves looked confused and betrayed. Even more than when I had announced that I was the daughter of King Thranduil; the Elf King who refused to help them in a time of need.

"You?"

"I took it as my fourteenth share."

"You would steal from me?"

"Steal from you? No. No, I may be a burglar, but I like to think I'm an honest one," I told him, shrugging my shoulders. "I'll let it stand against my claim."

"Against your claim? Your claim. You have no claim over me, you miserable rat!" Thorin exclaimed, throwing his weapon down and taking a few steps forward.

"I was going to give it to you," I said, softly. "Many times, I wanted to, but-,"

"But what, thief?" Thorin cut me off.

"You are changed, Thorin," I said, starting to become frustrated. "The Dwarf I met in Bag End would have never gone back on his word. Would never have doubted the loyalty of his kin!"

"Do not speak to me of loyalty. Throw her from the rampart!" Thorin ordered, but none of the Dwarves moved. "Did you not hear me?!" Thorin roared, grabbing Fili by the arm and starting to drag him. Fili quickly got out of his hold and Thorin looked around at them, stunned that they were disobeying his orders. "I will do it myself!" Thorin grabbed me by the arms and pulled me over to the edge of the gate, while Kili and the others tried to pry his hands off of me. "Curse you! Cursed be the Wizard that forced you on us!"

"Thorin, don't. You know I'll survive it. You don't want to do this. Please, I was only trying to save you," I pleaded as Thorin pushed me up against the rocks of the gate.

"If you don't like my burglar, then please, don't damage her. Return her to me," a loud voice called up to us and I tilted my head back, seeing a familiar grey hat. Gandalf. As my back pressed against the stone, I looked up at Thorin, who was staring at the Wizard. "You're not making a very splendid figure as King under the Mountain, are you, Thorin, son of Thrain?" Thorin's hands loosened and I quickly moved away, collapsing into Bofur's arms. My heart was pounding in my chest as my hands shook. Never had someone I considered to be a friend, tried to kill me.

"Never again will I have dealings with Wizards! Or Half-breeds!" Thorin yelled as I changed into my Hawk and took off, flying down to my father and the others.

"Are we resolved?" Bard questioned. "The return of the Arkenstone for what was promised? Give us your answer. Will you have peace or war?" A large bird landed on the gate in front of Thorin, cawing loudly as the ground started to rumble. My head snapped over to the hills on my right, hearing a large stampede approach. Letting my wolf eyes come out, I could see that it was an army of Dwarves.

"I will have war."

I OWN NOTHING BUT MY CHARACTER!!