Chapter 4 - Preparing for Battle

Chapter 4

The Dwarves knew what was coming, so they quickly gathered in the armory, grabbing weapons and armor. As I walked down the hall towards them, I could see Thorin standing there with a shirt of armor in his hands.

"You're going to need this," he told me as I came to a stop in front of him. "Put it on." Taking off my jacket, I left my undershirt on as I peeled off the top one, pulling the armor on. "This vest is made of silver steel. Mithril, it was called by my forebears. No blade can pierce it," he explained and I looked over to see the rest of the Dwarves staring.

"I look absurd. I'm not a warrior. I haven't been a warrior in two hundred years," I commented.

"It is a gift. A token of our friendship. True friends are hard to come by." Thorin glanced over at the others before grabbing me by my shoulder and moving down the hallway. "I have been blind, but now I begin to see." Fear rose in me at his words. "I am betrayed."

"Betrayed?" I asked as we came to a stop.

"The Arkenstone. One of them has taken it," he whispered, looking over his shoulder. "One of them is false."

"Thorin, the Quest is fulfilled, you've won the Mountain. Is that not enough?"

"Betrayed by my own kin."

"You made a promise to the people of Laketown. Is this treasure truly worth more than your honor? Our honor, Thorin, I was also there. I gave my word."

"For that, I am grateful. It was nobly done, but the treasure in this Mountain does not belong to the people of Laketown. This gold is ours. And ours alone." I could see the sickness taking over his mind as he backed up. "By my life, I will not part with a single coin. Not one piece of it." The Dwarves marched past us, ready for war.

***

As I stood at the top of the front gate, looking out at Dale, I thought about everything that had happened so far and how Thorin was only getting worse. I wanted to help, but
I only knew of one way. Making up my mind, I took a look around me to make sure there were no Dwarves before I changed into my hawk form and took off towards Dale. I landed at the edge of the city and changed back into my Elf form, sneaking past guards until I heard Gandalf's voice. Turning the corner, I saw him talking with Bard.

"This is a fight they cannot win," Bard told Gandalf.

"That won't stop them," I butted in. Both of them turned to look at me. "You think the Dwarves will surrender? They won't. They will fight to the death to defend their own."

"Almithara." I gave Gandalf a small smile before he led me to a tent. I stopped outside, knowing that I was about to face my father. As I stepped inside, I bowed my head, out of habit.

"M'lord," I muttered. Lifting my head, I saw my father turn, eyes widening slightly when he saw me.

"Almithara," he said quietly, staring at me.

"Hello, father."

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"She has been travelling with Thorin Oakenshield, per my request," Gandalf intervened.

"If I'm not mistaken, this is the one who stole the keys to my dungeons from under the nose of my guards," my father commented, a hard look in his eyes. I fidgeted under his intense look, feeling nervous.

"Yes, but that's not why I'm here. I came to give you this," I said, moving forward and placing an item on the table in front of my father. Unwrapping it from the cloth it was in, I revealed to them: the Arkenstone. My father stood from his seat, eyes widening as he stared down at it.

"The Heart of the Mountain. The King's Jewel."

Bard got up from his seat to come over and look at the stone, "And worth a King's ransom. How is this yours to give?" Bard asked, looking at me.

"I took it as my fourteenth share of the treasure," I admitted.

"Why would you do this? You owe us no loyalty."

"I'm not doing it for you," I shook my head. "For either of you. I know that Dwarves can be obstinate and pigheaded and difficult. They're suspicious and secretive with the worst manners you could possibly imagine. But they are also brave and kind and loyal to a fault. I've grown very fond of them, and I would save them if I can. Now, Thorin values this stone above all else. In exchange for its return, he will give you what you are owed. There will be no need for war," I explained, looking between Bard and my father, who exchanged a look. Gandalf ushered me out as they began to talk, coming up with a new plan.

"Rest up tonight. You must leave on the morrow," he told me as we walked through Dale.

"What?"

"Get as far away from here as possible."

"I'm not leaving. You picked me as the fourteenth member. I'm not about to leave the Company now."

"There is no Company. Not anymore. Imagine what Thorin will do when he finds out what you've done."

"I'm not afraid of Thorin," I told him, feeling confident.

We stopped walking and he turned to look down at me, "Well, you should be. Don't underestimate the evil of gold. Gold over which a serpent has long brooded. Dragon-sickness seeps into the hearts of all who come near this Mountain." He paused. "Almost all." I let the corner of my mouth rise up in a half smile as I realized he was talking about me. "You there," he called to a passerby, "find this She-Elf a bed and fill her belly with hot food. She's earned it." I recognized the man from Laketown. He was the one who stood by the Lord of Laketown. Alfrid, I believe was his name. I turned and started walking away, not wanting to be near this greasy creep of a man.

I OWN NOTHING BUT MY CHARACTER!!