Day 28: Chances

James meets Marcos at the gallery so they can go over the sales from the show. It seemed like a very successful evening based on the number of people who attended. In all, about ten pieces sold, including the one of Shauna in the white dress.

"Do you know who bought the print of Shauna?"

"That sale came in this morning. The buyer didn't leave her name. She said she saw it last night and had to have it. She said she'd be by on Tuesday with cash."

James nods his head, wondering who from last night would have purchased it. "I'd like to know who ends up with that print."

"Sure, I'll let you know as soon as I meet her."

"Okay. Thanks."

"That's a pretty special one, isn't it?" Marcos is aware that the woman in the photo never showed up the night before. He also knows that James's ex was there. He can only imagine the chaos of feelings that James is currently experiencing.

"Yes, that print has some significance to me." More than you know, he thinks. He runs his hand through his hair, thinking about when he will ever see Shauna again. He knows she leaves for New York soon. He has to make things right before she goes.

Marcos notices James's discomfort and changes the subject. "So I'd like to keep your prints up for the next couple of months. Hopefully word will get out and we'll get some more sales."

"Sounds good. Just let me know what I need to do. I can do a pretty quick turnaround on any prints and I'm happy to hand deliver any." He stands and extends his hand to Marcos. "I really appreciate your support Marcos. You're a true friend."

Marcos shakes James's hand. "Of course, but I should be thanking you. Last night's show was the largest we've had yet. And we made a nice profit. What are you going to do with your earnings?"

"I may use it as a down payment for my own place."

"Oh really? Do you know where you'd like to move?"

"I'm considering a move out of state."

"Good for you. It can never hurt to expand one's horizons. Where are you going to look?"

"I was thinking of New York City, possibly."

Marcos smiles, "I'm curious, have you told her, you love her?"

James runs his hand through his hair again. He whispers, "No."

"Maybe you should," he says.

When James gets to his car, he thinks about what Marcos said to him. He's right that in all this time, he has never told Shauna that he loves her. He wonders if it would matter. Or has he disappointed her too much? He'll never know unless he talks to her.

Though isn't it clear that she doesn't want anything to do with him by not showing up last night? Maybe she heard Kate would be there? But how could she have known? He had no idea she was coming so Shauna couldn't have known either. Regardless of the reason for why she didn't come, he can't just give up. He knows now that he loves her deeply and he can't imagine a future without her. He needs to prove to her that she has all of his heart. Maybe then she could give him another chance?

Margaret jumps on Shauna's bed, almost bouncing her out of bed. Shauna tries to ignore her.

"It's Sunday! Waffle time!"

Shauna moans.

"Wakey, wakey. Coffee's ready too. Jeremy ran out to get some bacon."

Shauna opens one eye. "Bacon?"

"Yes, come on." Margaret grabs Shauna's hand and pulls her out of bed.

"Okay, okay."

Margaret and Shauna make their way into the kitchen. Chris stands at the stove with the plate of waffles that Margaret has already made. He's wolfing them down. Margaret looks at Chris in horror. She shrieks. Shauna bursts out laughing.

Frannie walks in half asleep. "What's going on?"

"Chris!" Margaret yells. "What are you doing? Give those back."

"These are amazing," he says, as he pours more syrup on the waffles and keeps on eating.

"I appreciate the compliment but they're not all for you."

Frannie pulls the plate out of Chris's hands. "Chris, you need to share."

"But, but..."

"These will be mine and Chris's. Thank you Margaret." Frannie takes a bite of the waffles. "Oh my God, these ARE amazing!"

"I'm going to make another batch." She points at Chris. "No more for you until everyone gets their share."

"Fine," he winks at her. "You might want to make two more batches."

Jeremy walks in with a bag of groceries. "Bacon's here!"

"Woo hoo!" everyone yells.

"I'll make it," Shauna volunteers.

"So Shauna, what's going on with you and James?" Chris asks. The entire room quiets. Shauna keeps prepping the bacon.

"Not much Chris."

"Then why did you have to race off last night?"

Shauna struggles with the bacon package.

Jeremy walks up to Shauna. "Let me help with that." He grabs a knife and tears it open for her.

Frannie whispers to Chris, "His ex-fiancée was there."

Margaret turns on the mixer, hoping to drown out the awkward conversation.

Chris shouts above the mixer. "You don't have to worry about Kate. She showed up to say good-bye."

Margaret stops the mixer.

"Is that so?" Shauna responds. Her heart skips a beat upon hearing this.

"You should call him. He's just being clueless," he says.

"That's the pot calling the kettle black," Margaret points out.

Frannie pipes in, "He should call her." Everyone, except Shauna, nods in agreement.

Shauna keeps cooking the bacon.