Day 16: A Surprise

Books are strewn across the floor. Empty soda bottles are everywhere. Burnt coffee rests in the coffee maker. Margaret, Shauna and Frannie are having an old-fashioned cram session.

"Finals are going to be the death of me," Shauna laments, as she leans back on the couch and rubs her eyes. "I don't know how I'm going to memorize all of this material in a week and finish my senior project paper in time. It's inhumane."

"Would you rather write four term papers?" Frannie asks with her head buried in her laptop, typing like a madwoman with literary classics and their corresponding Cliff Notes strewn at her feet. "I blew off so much work this semester. I don't know how I'm going to catch up. Could either of you deconstruct Moby Dick real quick for me?"

"Sure I'll trade you the study of Pythagoras, you know the guy who came up with the Pythagorean Theorem, for your Moby Dick," Margaret suggests.

"You make it Finnegans Wake by James Joyce and you've got a deal."

"If either of you wants to draft a new concept for a direct drive permanent magnet generator, I would be most grateful."

Frannie and Margaret look at Shauna and at the same time say, "Good luck with that."

The doorbell rings. All three women stop and stare at the door.

"Who the hell could that be? Doesn't everyone know this place is on lock down?" Margaret looks at Shauna. "I bet I know who it is."

"What? I didn't invite anyone over."

"He never seems to need an invitation."

"How about we open the door and find out?" Frannie whips open the door to find James, Jeremy and Chris.

Jeremy holds up a football. "Study break?"

"Oh hell yes," Margaret says as she grabs the football and runs out to the front lawn. Everyone else follows.

James takes Shauna's hand. "Is this okay? You looked stressed last night so I thought a little exercise would help."

"It's great. It's really sweet of you to do this." The football flies in from out of nowhere and hits Shauna and James.

"Are we playing or what?" Margaret yells.

Shauna shouts back. "You better believe it sister." She picks up the football and tosses it hard at Margaret, who moves out of the way just in time and let's Jeremy grab it.

"Thanks honey," she coos at Jeremy.

For the next hour, they run and tackle and forget about responsibilities. These six friends do what friends do best, they bring laughter and joy to stressful situations.

Frannie soon gets winded from the exercise and takes a break. Chris sits next to her and enlightens her with his vast knowledge on Moby Dick culled from an illustration series he did for a recent version of the book. The two enter their own world of literary geekdom.

Shauna's relieved to see Frannie connecting with another person and having some fun. She quietly suffered under her parents' rage over the pregnancy and finally demanded they return home so she can concentrate on graduating. As soon as her parents left, Frannie apologized to Shauna and Margaret for their reaction and told them to take their time figuring out their next move after graduation. From the pain, disappointment, and loss, Frannie has risen a stronger, kinder person.

Margaret falls down in the grass, complaining of soreness. As if on cue, Jeremy rushes to her side. Shauna marvels at Margaret's hold over Jeremy. He actually looks like he's enjoying giving Margaret a full-body massage in the middle of the lawn. But Shauna knows it's a mutual hold on each other. Margaret's room has never been cleaner.

Shauna's gaze moves from Margaret and Jeremy to Frannie's house - a place filled with memories of a chapter in Shauna's life that's coming to an end. She realizes she's going to miss this home and her silly, challenging, lovable group of friends who have become more like her family. She takes James's hand and she motions for them to walk through the neighborhood.

James puts his arm around Shauna as they fall in step with each other.

"I'm not sure you want to get too close. I'm sweaty and haven't showered in 24 hours. I've been in study hell," Shauna points out.

"I'm not afraid." He leans in and kisses her on the cheek. "How's all the studying going?"

"It could be going much faster. I'm taking it one second at a time. I should probably get back to it actually."

"Okay, how about we walk around the block and then I'll grab the guys and we'll take off."

"Sounds perfect," Shauna nods as they slowly walk through the neighborhood. Shauna can't help but wonder what it would be like to have a house together and take nightly walks like this through their own neighborhood. And watch their kids play with the neighbor kids. She smiles thinking about a possible future with James.

"I have something I need to tell you," Shauna says as they turn the corner and head back to the house.

"Oh? What's that?"

Shauna takes a second, trying to figure out how to say what's on her mind and then finally blurts out, "I'm still a virgin."

James stops and looks at Shauna. He's not sure how to respond. "Are you saving yourself for marriage?"

"No, but I'd like my first time to be with someone I care about."

James locks eyes with Shauna. He looks almost vulnerable to her. "Do you think that person could be me?"

Shauna takes James's hand. "Yes. I hope it's you."

James leans over and kisses Shauna on the forehead and takes her in a strong embrace.

Shauna whispers, "Is it weird to you that I'm still a virgin?"

"No, it's not weird. It's a little surprising. You're so beautiful. I just assumed ..."

Shauna looks up at James, "I'd really like my first time to be with you."

James kisses her, softly and gently. He's in complete agreement.