Day 15: His Family

Shauna arrives at James's home. She's a little late because it took her so long to figure out what to wear. She finally settled on a simple skirt and loose chiffon blouse. Not too conservative yet not too revealing either. Margaret thought it was boring, which was perfect for Shauna, since she doesn't want to draw attention to herself during this evening.

She stands at the front door. She can't believe how nervous she is about meeting James's family. It's a pretty big step after only knowing each other for two weeks. She should be happy that he wants her to meet his family. But in reality, she's scared to death. She worries that it's too much too soon, especially when she knows she's moving across the country. And she also knows that James just broke up with his girlfriend of five years. It's only natural that his family will be making comparisons. She's not looking forward to the inevitable ranking that will be going on about her and his ex.

She finally gets the courage to ring the doorbell. She waits, hoping it's James who answers the door. She wants to know someone's in her corner when she meets his parents and sister. The door opens. It's James. He smiles at seeing her, which makes her feel confident. She checks out what he's wearing – boring black pants and a button-up shirt. She feels so much better about her outfit.

James gives her a hug and kisses her hello. He smells like soap. "Hi, I'm glad you're here."

"I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous," Shauna admits.

"Don't be. Everyone's excited to meet you."

I'm sure, Shauna thinks. They can't wait to meet the other woman who stole your heart. She knows she never stole James from anyone but she also knows how it must look to his family. If she were in their shoes, she would be wondering who is this home wrecker? Guilty until proven innocent.

"You ready to meet everyone?"

"Sure, let's do this."

James leads the way to the reckoning. She notices the painting from James's ex on the wall, which reminds her how new she is to his world. But she also reminds herself that he wants her in his world.

They make their way to the kitchen where James's mom and dad fix the meal and James's sister fixes drinks. James introduces Shauna to everyone.

"Mom, dad this is Shauna."

James's mom and dad extend a warm welcome. They shake hands and their smiles make her feel so much more at ease. Maybe this won't be as hard as she thinks.

"And this is my sister, Beth."

Beth gives her a quick glance. Shauna can feel the daggers. Ouch. Shauna puts on a strong face. "Hi, thank you for having me."

Beth ignores Shauna's comment. "James, do you want olives in your martini?"

"Sure, Shauna do you want olives in yours?" James asks.

Beth looks at Shauna, "Oh, are you twenty-one Shauna?"

"Yes, she's twenty-one. Since when are you carding sis?" James asks.

"Actually, I need to check on something. James, why don't you get your guest a drink?" She hands James his martini. James hands his martini to Shauna.

"Here, have mine. I'll make one for myself."

The rest of the meal was about as confusing. James's parents were lovely, while Beth was cold as ice.

"Shauna, what are you studying in school?" James's mother asks.

"Mechanical engineering."

"Oh really, that's impressive," James's father comments. "What are your plans once you graduate?" He leans forward inquisitively.

Shauna panics, not sure how to respond. Finally, she says, "I'm weighing my options. I know I want to work on alternative energy."

"How trendy of you," Beth retorts.

Shauna flinches at Beth's biting response.

"I'm really proud of Shauna. Saving the environment is a noble career," James reassures her.

"It's a very different career from working in the arts," his mom states.

"Not really," James responds. "Mechanical engineering is actually very creative. She has to invent new designs in order to advance her field."

James's father smiles, "Let's drink to that." He holds up his wine and everyone clinks their glasses, except Beth. She excuses herself to use the bathroom.

After dinner, James and Shauna relax in his room. He's giving Shauna a back massage. She doesn't look very relaxed though.

"Thank you for making the time to meet my family. I thought it went really well."

"Your sister gave me the cold shoulder," Shauna points out.

"I'm sorry about that. She was very close to my ex." Shauna moves away from James's touch at the mention of his ex. "It just feels weird. I never asked to be the other woman. You asked me out. Why am I being punished?"

"No one thinks you're the other woman. They know how much I like you. I'm sure my sister just needs to get to know you. And once she does, she will see what an amazing and talented and smart woman you are."

James kisses the back of her neck. She turns around and they kiss passionately.

"I want you. I'm not sure I can wait much longer," James says.

Shauna's feelings are growing too. She's not sure how much longer she can wait either.