Day 13: A Mess

It's Saturday and Margaret and Shauna are cleaning the house from top to bottom. Music blares as Shauna dusts and Margaret vacuums right next to her.

"Hey, maybe you should wait until I'm done dusting before you vacuum over here? Otherwise, you're going to miss half of the dust."

Margaret turns off the vacuum. "What?"

"Why don't you vacuum over there where I've already dusted?"

"Fine! Control freak." Margaret lugs the vacuum over to the other side of the room.

"Hey! I am not a-" Margaret turns on the vacuum to drown out Shauna.

Shauna goes back to dusting, wondering why Margaret is so cranky this morning. She was fine last night before James came over for dinner. What happened between now and then? She was hoping to tell Margaret about how well last night went but she doesn't seem to want to talk about anything.

Margaret quickly vacuums the one side of the room and turns off the vacuum. "You know, I don't think they're even going to appreciate our efforts to clean the house. They didn't appreciate the fact that we saved Frannie's life. I don't know why we're bothering."

"Because Frannie should come home to a clean house."

"She would never do this for us."

"She might."

"And I'm the Queen of England."

"Okay, Queen of England, I'm done dusting over here. Your Royal Majesty may vacuum over here now." Margaret wraps up the vacuum cord and moves the vacuum to where Shauna was dusting.

"The first thing I'm going to do once I have a real job is hire a cleaning service," Margaret admits.

"I thought you were going to be a student forever?"

"I may be rethinking that strategy."

"Because you don't want to clean your own home?"

"Exactly."

"Glad you have your priorities in order. You should clean your bedroom next."

"Why the hell would I do that? They won't be going in there."

"When was the last time you cleaned it?"

"I like it the way it is. I know how to find things."

"What does Jeremy think of it?"

"What he sees is what he gets. He knows that. Besides, I would have cleaned my room if my request to have the house tonight had panned out."

"I said I was sorry for forgetting that Frannie was coming home today. Is that why you're so touchy right now?"

"I'm not touchy."

"Yes, you are. You've been biting my head off all morning. Something's wrong. What is it?"

"Do you think there's something else you might have forgotten about today?"

Shauna has no idea what Margaret's talking about. And then it occurs to her. What is the day today? The 13th? Oh crap!

"It's your birthday!"

"Ding, Ding, Ding! You're the winner!" Margaret says.

"Oh my God, it's your birthday! Happy Birthday! I'm so sorry I forgot M." Shauna gives Margaret a hug.

"You're so caught up in yourself right now, you have no time for your best friend it seems."

"That's not fair. We're graduating in two weeks and I'm supposed to move to New York. There's just a lot going on."