Chapter 19

I used to feel like my life was a spin off of the TV show Awkward. It was for the longest time. And I'm really not joking.

Jenna and I had so much in common that I even had the thought that somehow people at MTV had cameras on me just so they could film what would happen in the next episode. Even though I knew that wasn't possible, it felt like it every time I watched it.

My Matty McKibben was Cody Sanders. The hottest football player at Wilson High. Quarterback to be exact.

No one ever dreamed him and I would be together. Heck, I never dreamed of it either. (Even if I had a crush on him and imagined scenarios in my head hoping they would come true.) Why would such a incredibly perfect man like him want such a imperfect girl like me?

Then miraculously he decided he liked me. He took my virginity in a closet at a summer camp. I thought it was amazing. Legit I was in fangirl heaven.

Then afterwards he constantly wanted to hook up, but no one could know we weren't gonna be exclusive. It got so regular to me that I didn't know what to do when a nice boy named Will came up and wanted to take me out on a date. Not for sex, but for me. Cody realized once Will and I started dating that he liked me more than he thought. He wanted more and I didn't know how much more I could give him. Instead of doing the right thing of staying with Will and giving him a chance, I let Cody ride away with my heart. It definitely wasn't a good idea.

The breakup happened like this.

It was a cold night, well morning because it was 2am, but on a Wednesday to be exact. Cody called me at 10pm wanting to go to a movie. I agreed. We saw Furious 6. It ended at 12:43am. We then drove down continuos back roads wasting time. I didn't think much of it because he did this when he wanted to clear his mind or if something was bothering him. We've done it so many times.

He came to a stop when we pulled into the parking lot of Walmart. The clock read 1:39am. He stayed silent for 15 minutes. Then he spoke.

"I'm in love with Cheyenne."

I felt a small piece of me die when those words left his mouth. I didn't look at him. I couldn't.

"I'm in love with you too and you know that, but I don't think it's fair to you that I'm in love with someone else."

I agreed with him. I also didn't say much. He knew I was hurt. I think he hurt himself too.

He insisted on driving me home, but I got out and said I was fine. I walked up to the store and went inside. I didn't break down until I was in the arms of Amber sitting in the passenger seat of her beat up Mercedes. I think that was the one breakup that destroyed me. It crushed me. I never thought I could move on.

And school made it a living nightmare. Cody and Cheyenne were the "it" couple. Never once did anyone think of him and I like that. It hurts and it makes you become a living mute. You fall into this depression and you feel as if you may never get out. But once you do, you see things you didn't see before.

As senior year rolled around, it got easier. Cody apologized and Cheyenne broke up with him. I was his friend. I would always be his friend when he needed me to be. In some ways, I was the girl he left behind, but in others, he was the one I should have left behind. Dating in high school should be illegal.

***

"You ready to go in?" Cody asks as we get out of his truck. He hands his keys to the valet and then grabs my hand.

A little flutter happened to beat through my chest. I can't help but remember the days that I lived for this.

I look up to him with a smile. I am making a terrible mistake.

"Let's do this!"

_____
{A/N}

Really short chapter, I know but that's probably how it's gonna be for a while. If you've been keeping up with my authors notes then you know how busy and compacted my life is right now. College started today and I HATE IT. I actually hate it so much I wanna cry. I hate all the blunt head students that are rude as fuck. I hate not being able to find my classes. I hate not being able to find a parking spot even though I paid $200 for a parking permit. And I especially hate my roommate. I never thought I'd get such a fuckboy as my roomie. I hope he stalks me and finds my wattpad and reads this authors note. He is so rude. Like he brought THREE different girls home within a course of 2 hours. This boy needs Jesus and I need headphones. Where the heck is my Austin???

But if you are wondering, I do have the ex of Cody. His name isn't Cody of course, but some of this same stuff happened. If you're interested, go read my book Sonder to see my love for him. Even if I shouldn't love him anymore.

Ps. My aunt had emergency surgery that removed her gallbladder and colon. As of right now she's stable and hopefully she'll be here longer than the doctor is saying. Thank you for all your prayers! They are working!

Much love, (from this highly ticked off and grumpy college student,) -// K.L.