Arrival in the Capitol

Valerie Slate P.O.V. (District 2)

Breath in... Breath out. In and out. In and out.

Right now is my moment, my moment to shine. The moment I arrive in the Capitol. The moment the sponsors first see the future victor.

As we speed thought the mountains surrounding the Capitol, I can't help but think about the mountains in my home, and my family.

I know that my mother is probably planning a party to celebrate the fact that I could become the next victor. My father, a high ranking Peacekeeper is probably in his office, looking over applications from young teenagers who want to become Peacekeepers. My brother is probably in the Academy, working hard at his goal to enter the Hunger Games. My sister is probably buying lunch with her friends before going to the Academy, as she never plans to set a foot in the arena but trains just in case.

They are all living life normally when I am miles and miles away.

But my thoughts are disturbed by bright lights.

The Capitol.

I can't help but gasp. Glistening silver towers touch the sky. There is a lake, where boats are being set off and children are playing. Even from here, I can see perfectly placed vines and ivy climbing up buildings. The roads that wind throughout the Capitol are made of a material that looks like glass- but it can't be because the cars must way tons. That's when I notice that none of the cars are actually touching the glass. They are floating about four inches off of the road, hovering. And they seem to be zipping by at the same speed as this train.

The Capitol grows larger and larger as we approach. We have already winded around the lake, and I see people of all ages dash over, trying to see us. I wave, and a little boy tugs on his mother's shirt, pointing at me. I laugh and the mother smiles.

As the train slows to a stop, I can really experience the full grandeur of this place. Even the train station is exquisite. However, it's less like a train station and more like an open air pavilion. There is a bending glass roof over four train lines. There are columns holding up the roof, all made of the same sparkling glass. The platforms are immaculate. They're made of marble. And it's real marble. How many people did this take to mine? How much is this worth? I can't help thinking of the poor laborers I see at home. That is the side of District Two that is hidden from all. The people who mine day in and day out, raising their families on rations and hand me downs. My siblings and I used to see them trying to buy a loaf of bread or a bag of apples. I would always steer my siblings away from them. I would hold their hands and urge them to stay away from the homeless, the poor, the people not like us. The people who didn't live in large homes, with gardens and trees and gates and pools. Who didn't have closets filled with clothes and pantries filled with food.

The sliding of the train door is what breaks my thoughts. The other tributes and I all peak our heads out of the door, looking into the Capitol. Set in front of us is a red carpet, with the crowd blocked off. Leto Justice and Hestia Ricci stand in front of us, flanked by Peacekeepers. I hear a gasp and then the sound of heels hitting the carpet.

Calypso runs forward into her aunt's arms.

"I missed you so, so much," Calypso cries.

"As have I," Leto responds. "However, I think you need to return to your fellow tributes."

Calypso is clearly hurt but she steps back. This time, Hestia speaks. In the corner of my eye, I can see four cameras, all propped and ready to go.

Someone counts down, and then Hestia launches into her speech.

"Thank you Aeryn. I am here today at the train station downtown, with the arriving tributes! The 24 girls have just had hours to get to know each other and the competition. They arrived in Capitol boundaries not even ten minutes ago. However, in that time, I'd say one could get a very good impression of the Capitol!" Hestia says, then grabs my arm, "My dear, what is your name, district, and what do you like of our city?"

I am vaguely aware of the cameras all pointed on me as Hestia holds the microphone in front of me. I have two options: shrink down and cower or act as confident as I look. I think the latter would be best.

I roll my shoulders back and begin speaking. "My name is Valerie Slate, from District 2! And for how I see the Capitol... well, I love it! Everything is so beautiful! It actually reminds me of my home in 2, all the kind faces and mountains. I cannot wait to be back here after the arena part of the games are over!"

"Well, you're awfully confident! And for a good reason too. You've been training at the Academy?" Hestia questions.

"Yup! I trained my whole life, and am proficient in a lot of different weapons and skills," I respond.

"As much as we here in the Capitol would love to know those skills, I'm sure you'd rather keep your tricks to yourself, right?" Hestia winks at me and I nod. "Well, Aeryn, we're heading back to you in midtown, because we have a train full of tributes to get to the Tribute Tower! Thanks for watching, and be sure to check for daily updates on our tributes. This has been Hestia Ricci for Capitol News. Back to you Aeryn."

Hestia looks at me and tells me I'm a natural. I laugh a little but it fades when I see the Head Gamemaker step up to the platform.

The other girls and I freeze.

"Follow me," he says roughly.

We all follow him down the stairs on the platform where six black hovering cars wait. Each car has two district numbers on them. The car for two is in the middle and to my dismay, I see that the number three is next to it. With a sigh, I open the door, slide into the car, and wait for my fantastic group.

A/N

Wait I updated? What's happening? SBHFKBSDUIRGHDHKSRGJKDHK Well I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! I'm def going to be updating a lot more now!

- Kitty