Chapter 7 - When a Dam Falls

Aspen Whiteleaf P.O.V. (District 7)

The massive tree falls slowly down, pinning me under, the water rushing towards- I jolt up from my sleep, eyes wide. The same nightmare has been plaguing me for about a year. Outside the small window of our house, I see a small face peaking through.

"Hi Bloom." I say.

"Aspen!" Bloom yells, then runs away.

I sigh. She's a tough one, being afraid of everything since it happened.

Flashback

The day started out with a surprise; my father was taking my brother and I to the dam with some friends! It was a beautiful day, a rare sunny day in District 7. Bloom, Ash, who are siblings, Rowan, and I all went to the dam. Ash and I were watching Bloom and Rowan play on the dam from a control room, when ear piercing siren rang through, and red light filled the room.

"It's breaking!" Someone yelled.

Our fathers then ran from the room. As they were both very important at the dam, they had to make sure everyone safe. Ash and I were pushed out of control room, to a stairway filled with people. Ash and I finally reached the bottom, but no one that we knew was in sight. And then we found them. Standing, fear plastered across their faces: 12 year old Bloom and Rowan.

Just as the dam collapsed, our fathers ran out and pushed the two of them out of the way. Bloom and Rowan fell, the water slowing their fall. Ash and I ran, trying to avoid the water and stay together. But a wave made us separate. I was running, as fast as I could, when I was engulfed by water. Now, I was swimming. All alone, in a world that turned dark, in cold, rushing water. Just when I thought I was safe, it happened.

I was floating by a small cave, and decided to swim to it. I would be dry. Of course, I forgot the cave would fill up with water, but I was too close to back out of my plan. The water pushing me forward, I made it to the entrance of the cave, when a massive tree fell, and broke my leg into two pieces. I screamed, then went unconscious.

When I woke up, I was on a stretcher, people huddled around me. I felt a wrap of my leg, and got up.

"Mom!" I said, crying and embracing her.

"Aspen. Aspen. Aspen." She cried.

"Where's dad?" I asked.

She shook her head. I sunk to the ground, knowing the truth. My father is dead. Ash comes over and wraps his arms around me.

"It's okay Aspen."

He wipes the tears off of my face.

Flashback Ends

That was 2 years ago. The dam is permanently closed. My mom is jobless, just running around, looking for work. Ash and I quit school, and started working. He works secretly training rich kids in survival, and I work for the Montgomery's, the mayors family.

It pays fairly high, but I have to split part of it for food, and the other Rowan's schooling; he goes to a private school in 7. Although he insisted on leaving the school to save money, I won't let him. Dad dying ruined my education, and moms work, but Rowan will go on to be successful. I know it.

Outside, I hear the sound of wood splitting in half.

"Get Ash." I say.

"Aspen." He says, and spins me around.

"Stop it!" I giggle.

He puts me down.

"Wanna go throwing?" He asks.

"Sure!" I reply, excited to get my hands on the new axes Ash got.

But when I get to the practice area in the woods near my house, I gasp. Ash has completely redone the small, empty training hollow, and made it into a perfect, date- like scene.

"Hi Aspen." Ash says, and appears, dressed in black dress pants and a gray shirt.

"Ash- I- I don't know what to say!"

"It's okay. C'mon, let's eat." He beckons towards a tree stump, covered by a tablecloth.

"Ash, this is amazing!"

He smiles at me, and then we gorge ourselves. Fresh, warm bread, cream from some goats, and blueberries.

"Alright, we better get going." He says.

I stand up, and realize I'm not dressed for the Reaping. I'm in a black skirt and a white blouse. Not nearly fancy enough for the Reaping.

"You look beautiful. No need to get changed." Ash says, like reading my mind.

So the 2 of us walk to the square, where we meet up with Rowan and Bloom.

"Hi guys!" I say cheerily.

"Aspen I'm nervous!" Bloom squeaks.

"You'll be fine." I ruffle her hair, and take her to 14 year olds, while I got to 16.

Maximus Great, our escort, starts talking.

"Hello District 7! My favorite District!" He says, with fake enthusiasm.

7 hardly has a Victor. Even 8, 9, 10, and 11 have more Victors then us.

"Our first lady is... Aspen Whiteleaf!"

My jaw drops, and I hear a couple gasps. Everyone knows me as the daughter of the girl who's dad died in the dam. I walk to the stage.

"Aspen Whiteleaf, 16." I say.

"Our second lady is... Bloom Eris!"

And my eyes fill with tears. How can I kill my best friends sister?

A/N
NO WAY. How do we have almost 300 views?! How?! I can't believe it! Thanks so much! This chapter isn't as good either... I love you guys!

-Kitty