22

The next day at second period the class was interrupted as the loud speaker came on.

"Good morning.  Many of you have heard about the upcoming tournament to be chosen as the new Ruler.  The teachers, mentors, and elders have put in their suggestions for candidates.  Council members are forbidden to do so, as they will be the judges in the tournament.  From those suggestions. The top 10 were chosen."

Remmy listened at first but as the names were read off she went back to her work.  She could hear cheers down the hallway from other classes as names were announced.  She quickly tuned them out and got back to her studies.  Only a few minutes had passed when her class had cheered.  The din was distracting, and she looked up to see who the lucky soul was, but everyone was looking at her.  Even a few kids had gotten up to congratulate her.

Remmy was in complete shock.  Why anyone of the teachers would pick her she had no clue.  She was an excellent pupil, but her skills went no further.  She was not a people person, not even in the slightest.  The teacher had quietened the class just in time to hear the rest of the speech.

"All students who were announced are to report to the school office immediately.  The preliminaries for our school will take place Friday at two.  School will let out at one to allow viewing.  The finals will be held Monday morning at the castle at the capitol."

Remmy collected her things and walked out the door.  She saw a boy walking in front of her a few years younger than her.  She sighed, hoping her competition will be a stiff one.  She made her way to the office and saw 9 other faces.  Most were only a year or two apart from her.  There were 5 boys and 5 girls including herself.  They all sat in the office and waited. 

One of the elders and the principal came out and began to speak to them all.

"Participation is not mandatory, but being unpatriotic is highly frowned upon.  If you wish not to become ruler, it is best if you simply fail in one of the tests.  You are all young and I do not wish any of my students to be shunned. 

For the remaining of this week, your classes with be suspended.  You will all be going to a set of classes designed for the tournament.  After the preliminary is over, 9 of your will return to your normal classes and will be given time to catch up in the assignments you missed.  One of you will be escorted with one family member to the capitol to face off against the other two allelomorphs.  The council will judge the tournament and select the new Ruler.  The two that do not win will be given the role as council members after schooling has ended.  The victor will forfeit any remaining schooling and will be crowned 24 hours after the councils decision.  Are there any questions?"

Everyone still seemed to be in shock and not a word was said.

"Good, your classes will consist of hand to hand combat, weapons training, battlefield strategy, spells and potions, history and ethics.  All classes are taught by elders and participation is mandatory.  Tardiness will be punished swiftly.  You all have fifteen minutes to put your things away and head to your first class, spells and potions with Hilda in room 207.

Remmy recognized the name instantly.  Hilda was the elder that taught her spells class. Remmy made her way to her locker and put her books up emptying out her bag.  Hilda was one of her favorite teachers. She was lively to say the least and she looked forward to still having her as an elder.

Remmy was one of the first students to arrive in the laboratory.  She sat down at one of front tables and waited for the students to trickle in.  Hilda was at the front of her class and smiled at her.  "I hoped they would pick you.  Glad to see they still hold my opinion in high regard.  I hoped you liked my present as well."

"What present?"

Hilda smiled and stepped closer to her. "The one that all of our family gets. I can tell by the strength of your power, we are related.  The reaction you had to it was magnified by the power you contain.  I hadn't expected it to be so great or I would have prepared you for it."

The first of the students came in and their conversation was cut short.  Remmy still couldn't believe out of hundreds she had been one of ten chosen.  And now she had found out who the chest had come from.  It made sense once she thought about.  Hilda would have known only Remmy could open the chest.  Only she could get the gift.  She wondered just how much more powerful she was to have a reaction Hilda didn't expect.  Her mind was spewing thoughts out a million a minute.  She hadn't noticed that the other students had joined her and class had started.