32

Remmy waved as Mack pulled away out of the parking lot.    She opened the door and before it was able to close on its own Aurora had found her.

Aurora pulled both of Remmy's hands into her own. "Congratulations dear. I know this is not what you wanted, but it is a great honor."  Aurora's face remained calm as she waited for a reply. 

"What am I to do now Aurora?  This has gone farther than I wanted it to go.  I don't want to lose Aldric."  Tears pooled at her eyes once more. 

"You love him."  It was more of a statement than a question but Remmy confirmed it.

"I do.  I want him in my future.  He is my future." 

Remmy didn't hesitate to answer, it was clearly written all over her face.  She knew she shouldn't feel this way about him so soon, but it was there.  Every breath she breathed and every beat of her heart was for him.  Aldric swooped into her life and centered her.  She had never been so happy and content and it was all about to come crashing down.

Aurora pulled Remmy's chin up and wiped away the tears.  "Tell him.  He will fight for you, wherever you may be." 

Remmy nodded and Aurora pulled her into a motherly embrace.  Remmy stayed in the safety and warmth of her arms until her face had dried, then pulled away. 

"Thank you."

Remmy took shallow steps out the door working up to a run to Walton's diner.  Her muscles were tired from the morning events but she pushed them harder.  She made it to the diner, only to find it locked, the sign on the front announcing it was closed. 

Remmy ran down the street to the training facility.  It too was locked.  Remmy pounded on the door trying to catch her breath.  She listened for movement and heard none.  She pulled herself over to the steps and collapsed down.

Before she meet Aldric, she would have been overjoyed at being selected.  All she knew was work and studies.  Now she knew love, something she had never had before.  She had never felt like this and never wanted to let it go.  Aldric had centered her and pulled everyone who loved her closer to her. 

She put her head in her hands and began to weep on the steps.  She could feel her face grow puffy and her nose congest, but the river of waterworks didn't stop.  She was so lost in the moment, she didn't hear the door open or the bag drop.  She didn't feel a hand on her shoulders or see him sit down next to her.

Aldric pulled her close and wrapped his arms around her.  He buried her head into his shoulder and caressed her back, not saying a word.  They sat like that until Remmy had fallen asleep.  Aldric had then picked her up and carried her all the way to his house, unsure of what the problem was.

Remmy awoke in a strange bed.  It was dark and there was little light to see by.  She looked around the room and couldn't see anything to clue her into where she was. She sat up and slid off the side of the bed, walking around the room barefoot and silent.  She opened a dresser drawer and Aldric's smell tickled her nose.  She smiled and closed the drawer.

She opened the door and stepped out into the living room, to find Aldric asleep on the couch.  He had on a pair of shorts and his chest lay bare.  She padded over to him and bent down, whispering in his ear, "Stay with me?"  She ran her fingers over his chest and the sensation woke him.

He smiled up at her. 

"Feeling better?" 

Remmy's face fell as the events of the day tumbled into her mind.  Aldric saw the reaction and pulled himself up.