eight

Remmy had just left the office and Aldric watched her leave out the door. He watched the grace in her movements buried under the boldness of her actions.

This girl, she is going to be the death of me.

Aldric sighed and pushed back from his desk. He walked out to the diner and caught Lilly behind the register.

"What is going on with that girl?"

Lilly looked at him and her face was blank. Aldric's fists clenched and unclenched with worry. He looked out the window, his mind rolling over events and thoughts, then looked back at Lilly. He started to say something and stopped before any sound could articulate. Aldric sighed deeply and walked back to his office, not quite sure to grin or to frown. Beyond this world he would be drawn to her, to every beat of her heart and every breath she consumed.

8888888888888

Remmy was almost running to work. She was going to be late from her side stop but that wasn't why she was at a brisk walk. The more she was around Aldric the more she needed him. Remmy's heart flittered. She had always been told she spoke her mind but Aldric, he seemed to speak his heart. She knew it was in his nature to protect, but he had taken to her. She could sense he felt something more for her than what he was supposed to. His words and facial expressions conveyed as much.

Remmy wouldn't trick herself into thinking he had feelings for her without solid proof. When she told him he wasn't much more than a friend, he didn't seem startled by that fact. She would just have to watch him closely during her defense class, three times a week. She would also have to watch out for herself. Every time she came into contact with a piece of him, trouble followed. This was either going to get better or worse.

Remmy glanced at her soundings and realized she had been so deep in her thoughts, she wasn't paying attention to her direction. Somehow she had ended up right outside Mack's office. She inhaled deeply and let the air out slowly. This was about to get worse. She couldn't get away from not studying after school. She walked into his office with much less purpose than she had into Aldric's.

Mack was at his desk working on some files. His head stayed down and his hands scribbling ink away. Remmy plopped down in the velvet chair causing Mack to look up at her and the corner of his lips to tilt upwards.

"Whattcha need girl?"

Remmy leaned forward with her elbows on her knees. She rubbed her face and looked straight at Mack. He held the same expression he had a few minutes ago. Remmy smiled lightly.

"I need some time off."

Mack's face dropped and concern was etching wrinkles into skin. Remmy reworded her thoughts.

"I don't really need time off, I just need to be able to come in late a few days a week. Three days a week. And I can make up for it and work on weekend shifts or my days off."

"What's going on? You know ya can tell me anythen'."

Remmy nibbled on her lip. She didn't like to lie to him, but telling the truth would blister up his fury.

"I have taken up some extra training outside of school. I feel it's pertinent to my life."

Mack's grin creeped back into his features. He shook his head and looked Remmy up and down.

"Girl, you take on way too much already. Ya go ta school full time an' work full time. You're gonna wear yourself out. You've already passed out from exhaustion."

Remmy sat back and looked at Mack. It hadn't taken her long to figure out how to make him budge and get her way. She rarely asked for anything but somehow she knew how to work him.