11

This is the first story I have ever written AND completed. For some reason, my chapters are getting too long to be considered one. Must mean I am either getting really good at writing, or really interested in the story.....

Remmy walked into her new house and dropped her keys on the counter. She looked at the key chain Mack had given her and was curious about the rabbit foot. It was a little creepy, thinking about the poor animal it had once been attached to, but at the same time the fur was soft and she liked to rub it in between her fingers.

Remmy headed to her room and made quick work of the few boxes she had left. Everything was now in its place. The last thing she unpacked was the book Aurora had given her.

Remmy had hidden it at the dorm but she felt it would be safe out in the open here. She thumbed through it for a few minutes and closed the book in her lap. The sound caught in her ears and she remembered when Aurora had given her the book.

"This book is not one from the library's collection. It is from my own. I am passing it on to you. It contains what you need when you open it. Remmy, you are like a daughter to me. Seeing you evolve over these last years has moved my heart. I want you to be safe and well, but I also want you to live, to experience. This book has been in my possession for far too long. It can be mischievous at times and hard to understand, but the intention and meaning will become clear over time."

Remmy pulled herself from the reverie.

"Okay book, show me what I need. And if you have anything on this new power of mine, that would be great." Remmy flipped through the pages and stopped on one. The dark ink flowed and curled in front of her eyes. The page contained the history of the black cloaks the elders wore and how it has become tradition. Remmy was a little curious but her patience overwhelmed the intrigue.
"Mischievous indeed."

With that, Remmy put the book on the shelf with the others, It didn't fit in with her second or third generation text books, or with the few well worn personal books. It was the black sheep of the shelf. Remmy didn't give it a second glance and made her way out to the common area.

She didn't really know what to do with herself and thought about eating a little early. That idea was squashed when she remembered the disaster that was left in the kitchen.

Left to her own devices, Remmy found work for herself to do. It took her the rest of the night washing dishes and wiping counters. She had even cleaned up the coffee table and found out it was a nice oak with beautiful wood grain shining through a thick lacquer.

Satisfied with the outcome of a few hours work, Remmy made her way to the fridge. She wasn't too much of a cook but she could make due.

She opened the door to take inventory and the smell almost knocked her back. It wasn't a full blown garbage smell, but it wasn't something you wanted to take a deep breath of. Remmy closed the door and brought the trash can over. It didn't take very long to find the culprit in the back of the fridge. It wasn't very big, but whatever it was had grown into a science project. Container and all was gently placed in the trash hoping it wouldn't explode. Remmy began to check dates on containers and found most everything else was good. Only a few items had expired but the dates were within the last week.

Now that she was done cleaning out the fridge, Remmy began to thaw out some hamburger meat. She hadn't cooked in a full kitchen ever. Just a little kitchenette they had in the dorms and it was shared by every one on her floor.

Remmy didn't really care to be in public places for the most part, not unless she could blend in with other kids. Plus the kids her age still hadn't learned to clean up after themselves and always left the kitchenette disgusting. It was easy to get used to having a full kitchen and privacy and, before she knew it, she had made pico de gallo burgers from scratch and thousand islands dressing for a bit of twang.

Remmy was pleased with herself and made a plate to take out to the living room. She eyed the chair that had once been moated in with Mack's dishes and trash. Wanting to find out why this chair was his favorite, she set her plate and drink down on the coffee table and sat into the overstuffed recliner. It had looked rather large, but managed to hug her frame. It was cushiony and comfortable causing Remmy smiled.

I just might have to steal this chair from Mack.

She pulled her legs up indian style and set her plate on her lap. She was about to take a big bite of the juicy burger when she heard Mack's keys hit the counter.

Remmy paused. This would be the first time she had seen Mack outside of work and wondered if it would be weird. The chair was large and she was protected from his view but she knew if she got up he would see her.

Remmy thought for a minute and decided all was lost. Might as well get over the first awkwardness and on to the comfortable I'm-in-my-pjs-and-getting-a-midnight-drink-from-the-milk-carton-and-neither-one-of-us-care moments. Remmy started to eat but kept her ears perked up. She heard noises coming from the kitchen.

She had made Mack a burger too, already fixed and ready on the oven. She heard the fridge open and close, heard the sound of a beer can opening and the shuffling of his feet over the carpet. The sounds got louder as Mack made his way over to his favorite chair. Remmy closed her eyes hard and waited for the assault of words about to come out of his mouth. She heard his feet stop right next to her but Mack didn't speak. She opened her eyes and slowly looked towards him.

Mack was smiling down at her.

"I see you've met Bertha. I'll let ya slide this time but next time Imma call rank."

"Bertha?"

"Yeah your sitting in 'er" Mack said as he made his way over to the couch.

Remmy looked down. "Oh"

"You've put your touch on thuh place, can't say I don't like it."

Mack used the lull in the conversation to take a bit of his burger.

"This ain't too bad girl. If I woulda known you could cook and clean I mightta asked ya to move in with me sooner."

Remmy wasn't too fond of compliments but coming from Mack it felt different.

"I can't really cook that well. And I hate to say it but I didn't like the touch you had left on the place. I'd hate to see your room or your bathroom for that matter."

Mack chuckled. "I'm single an' don't have an interest in bringing women over right now. The mess didn't bother me."

Remmy was stunned. The place looked more than lived in when she had arrived. It was close to be a hoarders house. "There is no way the mess didn't bother you! And the smell from the fridge, ew."

If it weren't for Mack's nonchalant attitude he might have felt embarrassed. "Ok, ok, you got me there. I was gonna clean up a few things tonight but it looks like you beat me to it. You must be beat, how bout I do these dishes an' you head ta bed."

Remmy smiled. "Deal. Speaking of deals, what's the deal with the rabbit foot?"

"Because I thoughtcha could use some luck movin in with me."