12

I had intended to break this up more, but couldn't find a good spot. Instead it is one long chapter. originally, it was over 4000 words. Yikes!! that is a good way to cut down on overall views for your story, have a few long chapters.

Classes went by in a blur for Remmy. It wasn't until she ran into Lilly in between classes that her mind was pulled to the present. Usually Remmy could tune Lilly out after the first few minutes but Lilly said the one name that snapped her attention back.

"You start training with Aldric yet?"

With moving and getting finances straight Remmy had been too busy to think about it just yet. She could take everything on at once, but she preferred one new change at a time.

"No not yet. I just got settled into the new place and haven't had time to breath."

Remmy was a little flustered and Lilly quickly changed the subject back to comfortable territory.

"You going to the library to study today before work?"

"Actually I was going to head home and take a break. It's my first day off of work and thought I would relax."

"I could really use your help studying for the test in a few days. Do you think you can come to the library for just a little bit? Please."

Lilly must have been growing on her. Remmy didn't even think twice before she replied.

"Of course Lilly. Meet you after school."

Lilly smiled, almost wolfishly.

"Thanks Remmy."

Remmy wasn't too sure what just happened. Lilly was becoming her friend and gaining trust but Remmy felt like she had just been deceived. Remmy replayed the moment in her mind, attuning every second they had talked. Lilly was always talkative, but was rarely that easy to get rid of. Something was definitely not normal with her.

Remmy knew what she had saw but thought about Lilly. Lilly wasn't the type to keep secrets and she didn't seem like the type to lie. Remmy brushed the whole moment to the side and decided that regardless of what Lilly was and wasn't, she knew who she was. She wasn't one to let a friend who had asked for help to go without it.

Remmy spent the next class rewriting her notes in a more legible form. It helped her remember the topics the class had discussed and Lilly could take the copy home with her. Remmy was determined to go home and take a day off. She could use her new power to remember minute details to never study again, but she felt it was cheating. She worked hard and was ahead in most of her classes, so not paying full attention wouldn't hurt her much. Good honest work always got the best results.

Remmy left school and started walking to the library. She was happy Lilly was more than willing to do her fair share of studying for class. She hoped that wasn't about to change. Remmy didn't like liars or cheats. Cheaters never prosper.

The thought of being so close to having a friend was tantalizing. What Quin had said to her was eating away at her. Remmy had been independent from a very young age. While independence wasn't unheard of in their realm, it was pretty odd for a person of any age not to have a friend. Remmy hadn't ever had a friend her age.

Remmy opened the old wooden door the the library and walked to her spot in the back. She was almost excited about hanging out with Lilly. She rounded the corner of a book shelf and saw Lilly sitting at their table. Lilly had a book out and looked to be deep in thought pedaling away at a homework assignment from another class. Remmy let the unease of earlier thoughts wash away.

"Hey what's up?"

"Just finishing up the last of my homework."

Remmy sat down and started digging out the notes she had made for Lilly. "I made a copy of notes for you, this way you could take them home."