Chapter Eleven

Oliver and Lawson returned to school, smiling like they just won the Olympics. They received high fives from many of the guys, and angry glares from the girls.  

"Did he really masturbate?" Keira asked as Oliver sat with us at lunch. Keira was about to explode in laugher. 

Oliver shrugged when he saw me giving him the stink eye. Keira figured out that Oliver wasn't saying anything because of me. She turned to me and said, "Airlia! Let him tell the story!" 

"What am I doing?" I said innocently. 

She crossed her arm sassily. "You're making him not spill about the bathroom." 

It was my turn to shrug. "I don't control his speech." 

Keira roller her eyes and dug into her garden salad. Oliver sighed and said, "I have to go make up for that Chinese quiz I missed." 

I nodded, giving my attention to my cell phone. Keira noticed the tension between Oliver and I. I could tell from the way she bit her bottom lip like she wanted to say something. Sighing he left us. 

As Oliver went out the cafeteria, Keira whispered, "What is up with you two?" 

"I don't know," I admitted. "He invited me to his family's annual snowboarding trip. You know, the one that him and Lawson's family take that my family used to go to?" Keira nodded. 

"What about my family?" Lawson butted in. He grinned at me as he claimed the empty seat by me, with a rolled-up newspaper in his hand. He spread it out and began scanning the classifieds.  

"Whacha looking at?" Keira inquired. Without waiting for an answer she snatched the newspaper from his hands. Lawson shot her an annoyed look.  

"Looking for a job, that's what." He snatched back the paper. "Mom thinks getting a job would teach me responsibility and all that jazz." On the word "responsibility" he put his fingers in quotation marks and rolled his eyes, like his mother suggested that he babysit on Prom Night. Never in a million years. 

Keira snorted. "Right. Responsibility." I had to hold back a fit of laughter. To keep me busy, I took the paper and scanned through the opened jobs. Everything sounded boring, and most of them required someone older.  

"Not much here," I declared, passing the paper back to Lawson. I made extra care not to brush against his fingers. He accepted the paper, not looking me in the eye. Once again, that pain in my chest appeared again, this time with more force.  

He muttered, "I know. That's my problem. I got to find something quick, before my mom beats me." The bell rang, broadcasting the end of the lunch period. "I'll see you later," he added with a small wave. Then he went off to his class. 

I turned to Kira, expecting her to go all crazy, analyzing each of Lawson's expression and choice of words. But instead she gave me this undetectable look. Like she was feeling sorry for me. "What?" I said. I started walking down to English with Keira falling in step with me. 

She sadly shook her head. "Nothing. Just..." 

I never got to figure out why she was thinking about because the school board decided to have a fire drill. Naturally people started freaking out and making as much noise as possible to drown out the raging siren. My God. Sometimes the maturity of my fellow students surprises me. 

After the fire drill was over we went to our class. It went by in a blur. I wasn't exactly sure what we were discussing in class. Usually I'm so in tune to what is happening. But lately I haven't been. I blame it on Lawson for making things so complicated. 

Then Chinese rolled by. I took my assign seat, next to Oliver. I opened my notebook, doodling random characters, when Oliver poked my on the arm with the top of his pencil. He glanced into my eyes, concerned about me. 

"Hey... Are you okay?" he asked. I nodded. 

"Nothing to worry about, Oliver." I replied. 

And that was the end of our conversation, until the end of class. 

I stayed behind a little bit, to put away my Bellringers, and to let Oliver go ahead of me. I didn't want him to be prying into what I was really thinking. The teacher was busy talking with a student, so she did not notice me. I slipped out of the classroom, undetected. Or so I thought. Oliver was down the hall, talking to Wiley. They exchanged a few more words before Wiley left. Oliver spotted me as I quickly turned the other way, even though my class wasn't that way. "Wait!" he called out. Sighing, I turned around and pasted a fake smile on my face. 

Once he caught up to me he asked, "Why have you been acting all weird these past few weeks?" 

"I haven't been." I clutched my books closer to my chest as I stared at the floor, mentally counting each scratch on the white linoleum. I felt Oliver lean in closer to me, and I quickly turned away from him. He let out a frustrated sigh, almost identical to Lawson's. He opened his mouth to say something, but I stopped him by raising up a hand. 

"Look, I've just been..." I stopped, looking for an excuse. My salvation came in the form of Addy walking past us. "Oh hey!" I greeted warmly to him. 

Addy looked at me, confused. He nonetheless broke out in a grin and returned my greeting. 

"Don't we have that thing to do?" I tried to bait him on to getting me out of Oliver's presence.  

"Oh yeah, that thing." I detected the merest of mere smirks on his lips. To make things clearer to Oliver he said, "She's helping me with my chemistry homework." Oliver just shrugged and muttered, "Later, then." 

When it was evident that Oliver was not coming back, Addy immediately turned to me, put a hand on his hip, and said, "I feel like you have some explaining to do, young missy. So start talking." 

As I filled him in on Oliver's offer we walked to the library. When I was done explaining everything, Addy gazed at me with a sorry expression. 

"I love how you life is so interesting," he said blissfully. I was about to throw The Adventures of Tom Sawyer that was lying on the table when I spotted Lawson seated at a table at the opposite end of the room. He was bent over, absorbed in the same newspaper I saw him have earlier in the cafeteria.  

Addy turned his head around to see what I was looking at and grinned mischievously. 

"Still have the hots for Lawson?" he asked. I rolled my green eyes. Addy paid no attention and went on. 

"Let's go talk to him!" Before I could stop him he left our table and walked over to Lawson. Lawson looked up, slightly confused but amused. Addy took up a chair and sat by him and they began talking like long-time best friends. Addy made sure to get my attention, telepathically sending me a message to come over to them. Sighing, I was about to get up, when I noticed what Lawson was doing. 

It seemed innocent enough if you did not take a close inspection. Or if you were totally clueless. 

Lawson smiled brilliantly and put his hand on Addy's. He began to caress it while looking deep into Addy's eyes. From Addy's body language, I could tell he was trying to "get it"-is term for flirting with a potential boyfriend. 

It was too much for me. I slung my backpack around my shoulders and stood up. 

"Hey, where are you going?" Addy asked, pulling slightly away from Lawson.  

"I'm going to my locker," I muttered. With that, I left the library. 

--------------------------------- 

Crappy, I know, but deal with it :P I've had a rough time....

I promise to go over this later. This was just to satisfy readers lol

Vomment! 

Please? :3