Chapter Five

"So it just hit him," Addy started, laughter twinkling in his brown eyes. "Like BAM?" He made the motion of the volleyball hitting his semi-freckled face with his hand. I nodded sadly, still depressed by the incident. But Addy thought it was the most hilarious thing he has ever heard. He nearly fell off the bench his was tight-roping on as we walked to his house. It was a foggy day out, fall now officially started. I was going to Addy's house to work on homework.

"Can we please talk about something else?" I begged as I shivered from the cold October air. Addy grinned at me and kept on walking. He walked off the bench and put his arm around my shoulder.

"Sure darling. But can I just state one more thing?"

I said as I rolled my eyes, "Whatever."

He sighed. "Okay, promise you won't hurt me?" I nodded. He continued on. "Okay, well, it's so obvious that you still like Lawson." When I opened my mouth to protest, he said, "No wait! Hear me out. I think it's cute that you still like Lawson while you're going out with his cousin. It's so..." he searched for the word in his mind. "Scandalous."

"Scandalous?" I looked at him, my eyebrows knitted together in confused amusement.

"Yes, scandalous. You want me to pull out the Oxford Dictionary?"

"I know what it means! It's just, I don't see how is it scandalous."

"Oh darling," he laughed. "There's so much you got to learn. But don't be so surprised when Lawson starts staring at you with stars in his eyes!"

I didn't reply, musing about what Addy meant. Did he mean that Lawson would like me now, since I'm going out with Oliver? That doesn't make sense. Lawson had many chances. Chances he wasted. If he now randomly likes me, I don't think I would drop Oliver for him.

Oliver is such a gentleman while Lawson is... Not a gentleman. It's true that they both tend to get in trouble, but Oliver doesn't get in as much trouble. Lawson is loud, never keeps things to himself, and gossips like he's a girl. And there's the fact that no one takes him seriously. It didn't matter that he was in TAG, (though he rarely comes to the meetings). He's still frowned down upon.

And let's not forget the fact he doesn't treat girls that well. I still don't know what happened between him and Kira, but it can't be good. Even if something Kira said or did something to pissed him off, he still shouldn't act like a jerk to her. And he did the same thing with Lacy Lavender. She was his last girlfriend for about six months. I heard through the grapevine that he would constantly call her names and forced her to do stuff. But then again, Lacy would do just about anything with a guy.

Addy and I got to his red brick apartment in downtown. He put the key in the lock and the door opened with a creak.

"Tsk, tsk," Addy said. "We really need to get that fixed soon."

We entered his squeaky clean living room. Addy excused himself to go make snacks as I turned on the TV, looking for something to watch. I like studying with noise for some reason. I don't like being in a room without a little bit of noise. It feels like I'm not the only one in the world.

Addy came back with Mountain Dew, two cups, and jerky. "It's really the only edible thing we have," Addy said apologetically. "But if you want beer and soy chips, then be my guess. But I have a feeling you don't like that stuff."

I nodded. I really don't like soy food, and especially not beer. "I have Mountain Dew and jerky for breakfast. This is nothing." I poured the green fizzy drink in one of the cups and sipped one of the cups.

"Jocks," he said, rolling his eyes. He brushed out his blonde bangs away from his eyes. "Now, do you really want to study, or do you want to talk about Lawson and Kira?" The curious expression on my face must of looked totally readable, for Addy laughed and said, "I'll take that as a yes." He leaned across the table confidentially.