Chapter Seven

Lawson and I returned the kitty. When we entered the house, Oliver was playing Scrabble with Brock and Levi.

"Look who's back!" Lawson announced. He let go of Max. Max ran over to the two boys. The boys embraced the kitty like it was a long lost brother. When they realized how dirty Max was, they quickly let go of him.

Levi's face twisted up in disgust. "Ewwie. We need to wash him." Levi made gestures for Max to follow him to the garage. I asked Levi if he needed help, but he said no. Brock decided to follow him, so it was just Lawson, Oliver, and I. Lawson's confessions ran miles in my mind. Uncomfortable, I sat on the couch by Oliver and leaned into him. He wrapped his strong arm around my shoulder.

"Well," Lawson said, starting for the door. "I'll leave you to horny love-birds alone." He winked at Oliver, who flipped him off. "And remember, use anything for protection. Even aluminum foil!" The annoying cousin finally left, laughing his ass off.

"Where is he going?" I asked Oliver conversationally as I roamed through the channels. I decided to stay on Channel 59, where there were doing the Godfather.

Oliver shrugged, my head kind of rising as he did. "Probably to RJ's house. He lives not that far from us." He smiled and looked down at my lips. "I'm actually glad the fella's gone. Now we can do something more private."

A knot in my stomach formed, knowing what he meant. Oliver pushed my hair away from my face, and lightly kissed me. I kissed him back so he wouldn't feel bad. After the kiss, I busied myself with my cell phone. A blush was beginning to form in my cheeks. Oliver sighed and looked at his phone.

We sat in silence for awhile, not paying attention to the movie. I wanted to apologize to Oliver, for not giving him what he wanted, but my lips were glued shut. Thankfully, Brock came downstairs, giving me an excuse to leave.

"Hey, Brock," I said with forced cheerfulness. "How's Max doing?"

"Good," he replied, grinning. "I cleaned him up really good!"

I laughed. "That's good. Are you ready to go to sleep?" He nodded. I carried him back up to his room, where I tucked him into bed. I asked if he wanted me to read him a story but he said no.

"I want you and Oliver to be together," he said, smiling. "Then you guys can have your own kids to read to!"

I forced out a laugh. "I don't know. Oliver and I might not be together anymore when the time comes for that."

Brock's face displayed how confused he was. "Why not?"

"Because," I said, sitting on his bed. "Just because we're together now, doesn't mean we will in the future."

Brock nodded. "But it would be nice if you two did." I nodded in agreement. "Okay, Airlia. Go back downstairs and kiss Ollie and tell him you love him."

"Okay. Whatever you say, Brock." I laughed and ruffled his brown hair. I said good night to him and went back downstairs. When I got back to Oliver, I kissed him. I didn't want to disappoint Brock.

Once done with the kiss. Oliver grinned. "What happened up there?"

I grinned. "Nothing. Just realizing something." I sat on his lap, playing around with is hair. Oliver grinned and toyed with the belt loops of my jeans. He pulled me closer to him and pressed his lips roughly onto mine. I kissed him back with the same intensity, but the intensity wasn't felt in my soul.

Suddenly, I heard a car park in the driveway. I jumped off of Oliver, straightened my shirt, and sat on the couch, trying to act naturally. I heard Oliver chuckle next to me. Mrs. Cole entered the house with Mr. Cole behind her. Mrs. Cole asked if the kids were asleep and if everything went all right, and I assured her they did.