Chapter Twelve

A few days passed since I saw Lawson and Addy flirt. Now I was sitting by the pair during English, shooting annoyed looks at the happy couple. My stomach twisted up in disgust. I was not the only one who was disgusted by this display. 

"God damn them to hell," muttered Hannah to her other super religious follower. Sarah nodded in agreement. The two of them were seated behind me and Kira. 

"I cannot believe that they can show their faces!" 

"Ugh, Christ!" butted in Kira. "Why would they be ashamed of themselves? And they're not even doing anything! They're just sitting next to each other." 

Hannah and Sarah rolled their eyes.  

'Whatevs," Hannah growled. Then she smiled mischievously. "But I know you have some things to be ashamed of, slut." Sarah and Hannah threw their heads back in laughter and as a result, the English teacher glared at them and to told them to shut up, or she'll call their fathers. That instantly shut them up. 

The four of us went back to our work. I snuck a look at Kira to see how she was reacting to Hannah's insult, but she seemed totally at ease. She was smiling as she wrote her essay, twirling a tendril of curly blonde hair. Kira hummed a tune that I couldn't detect. Probably some remix by Dubstep; she tends to hum their remixes. I smiled to myself. This was why I loved Kira. She was able to take insults and turn them the compliments. 

The period along with the day ended right when I was finished with my essay. I turned it in and raced out the door with my fellow students. I waited for Kira by a row of lockers, safely out of the way of stampeding students. Among the students were Lawson and Addy. They went towards the exit with the stampede. Once I spotted Kira I quickly extracted her out the crowd. 

"What are you doing, crazy!" she asked, slightly pissed. She roughly pulled her arm out of my grasp and dusted her sleeve off, like I sneezed out dust bunnies all over her.  

"Nothing, yet." I again grabbed her arm and led her outside. Surprisingly for a late November day, it was sunny and bright. Global warming can be a blessing. 

Kira sighed. "Just tell me what we're doing so I can come up with a brilliant excuse on why I'm going to be late watching Skins. And not the stupid American one. I had to pay good money to get BBC America, and I'm not wasting it." 

"Lawson and Addy are up to something," I grumbled, ignoring her rant.

Using her strength, she stopped us in our tracks. She put her hands on her hips, cocked her head to the left, and grinned broadly. 

"What?" I said after thirty seconds of uncomfortable silence. She kept on giving me that look. 

Finally she became at ease and laughed. Kira laughed for a good five minutes, but I did not find anything remotely funny. After ages, she finally explained herself. 

"I find it cute that you're spying on Lawson." 

I didn't reply; just stared down at my feet. A blush was beginning to form at my cheeks. Kira noticed, putting a reassuring hand on my shoulder. 

"Hey, I was just joking," Kira explained softly. She knew I was embarrassed . 

"Besides," she continued. "I want to know what they are up to, also." 

So with that, she hooked my arm and lead us to the direction Lawson and Addy went. We saw them seated against a large oak tree in the quad area, with-surprisingly-Oliver and Wiley; way different from what I imagined. The four of them were sharing what I suspected as a joint, staring lazily into the sun.