Chapter Thirteen - Revealing the Truth

It was well passed dark when Liriel woke, still in Ergin's arms. He was maneuvering up the stairs to his house. Warmth was starting to infiltrate her flesh. Adina waited, holding the door open for him. He brought Liriel inside and placed her back on her bed in the painting room. Adina layered several blankets on top of her. Tears sprang to Liriel's eyes for all of the kind things they had done for her, and she had been so ungrateful as to take even more and leave without saying farewell. She didn't deserve such compassion.

"I'm sorry, Adina, I just wanted to find my love. I thought I could wait until after they fought and catch him as he retreated. I don't want to be alone." She shuddered for a while, leaving no space for conversation.

Adina stroked her arm, humming softly. The action soothed Liriel, until she was able to get shaking under control. Ergin busied himself about the room, putting paints and brushes away.

After some time, Liriel pulled herself up to sitting. "I'm fine now."

Adina replaced the covers. She took the chair beside the bed and leaned in to talk, taking Liriel's gloved hand in her own bare one.

"You will never be alone, dear. We love you and will help you in any way you need. I'm a little worried that you've shocked your system with that chill. You're likely to go into labour any time now."

Liriel vaulted over the edge of the bed. "No, I can't, not without him!"

Ergin turned from his tidying. "I know you want your man to be here, and we want to help, but without knowing who he is, there isn't much we can do."

Liriel looked at Ergin, the care in his voice assuring her, yet she still couldn't say. What she had done would never be acceptable to any Hilliri, no matter how free-thinking they might be, and one look at the baby once he arrived, and they would know just as surely.

She swallowed hard. They really wanted to help her. "I'm afraid you will be shocked by what I've done." Ergin and Adina kept their expressions neutral. It warmed Liriel to think they would at least listen. No one back in Kalad would. Not even her family.

She looked at the pair, patient and understanding, waiting for her to share. She wanted so much to tell them, and to hear them say it was all okay. Her heart pounded as she ached to tell them.

"It's up to you, Nia. We promise not to judge. I doubt you could shock us either." Ergin, eccentric as he was, was probably speaking the truth.

For a moment, Liriel could only hold her breath. "The baby's father is a Trillas."

Ergin's mouth opened slightly, and Adina's brows rose in surprise. To give them credit, there was no judgment in their faces. No reproach at all. Liriel let out her breath and sighed.

"His name is Lorenzo. He's the one they call 'the Slasher.' He was a prisoner of war, and I released him. Soldiers were beating him. They were going to kill him, but he's not what you'd think. He isn't a bad person."

She stopped, thinking she was starting to sound like she was making excuses for him. Adina looked away, struggling with her emotions. Ergin was more resolute. He cleared his throat.

"I think I know where to find him, though it will be difficult to get near him."

"No! You can't go! The Trillas will kill you before you have the chance to speak. We're their enemies right now, but we want to change that, he and I."

"Exactly how did you expect to get his attention without getting attacked?"

Liriel shrugged. "I figured I would wait until I could find him alone, then reveal myself to him. But he doesn't even know you."

Ergin looked at the ceiling as he searched for an idea.

"Is there something you could give me as a token, something he would recognize right away, that would keep him from attacking?"

It was hard to think of anything. They had been alone in the forest with very little supplies. Liriel had thought to use herself to get past Lorenzo's personal defenses. She shook her head.

"I have to go with you. If he sees me he won't hurt you."

Ergin looked down at the bed and then back to Liriel. "But that won't work on anyone else. That's too dangerous. We'll need something to make ourselves look less dangerous." He grabbed a pillow from her bed and stripped it of its white linen cover. He stuffed the cover in his pocket.

"Are you going to be okay to travel again?" Adina shook her head.

"I don't like this. What if she goes into labour there?"

Liriel closed her eyes and focused on her body, trying to determine how close she was to her time.

"I'll be okay. The baby has settled again."

Something else niggled at Liriel. The big lie she had done troubled her. She told them about Lorenzo, but there was still more to reveal.

"There's something else I need to tell you." She waited until she had their attention. Clearing her throat, she began. "I should have told you before my real name."

"We both knew Nia wasn't your real name. It's alright." Adina gave her an understanding smile.

"No it isn't." Adina paused, but said nothing. Liriel wanted to hug her for her patience.

"My real name is Liriel Godehera."

For a moment, Ergin simply stared, then he began to shake his head. "The King's youngest daughter."

Liriel looked down at her hands.

Adina looked over at Ergin for a long moment. He left the room, shutting the door with a firm click.

Adina stood and looked down at Liriel. "You surprised me. I think it would be wise to continue calling you Nia, though. I don't think it's a good idea for the rest of the village to know." She paced the room a bit then turned back to her. "I don't want the others to be implicated. We were happy to shelter you. We knew the risk that you had an untold story, but now it means that we are complicit in the hiding of a fugitive. Somehow I don't think your father will be pleased."

Liriel realized she was right. "I'm sorry, I feel awful."

Adina's stance softened. "I'm not criticizing you, but it does put us in a difficult spot. I'm not sure what's going to happen if you go find your man and bring him here. The Castillonians know somewhat of our existence, but not of our location."

"Lorenzo would never do anything to hurt you, especially not when you've been so kind to me."

"That may be so, but he may feel conflicted now, since he has a duty to his father which is at odds with his duty to you. The man they call The Slasher is Lorenzo Calimero. He is also the only son of Carlosi Calimero, Lord and ruler of Castillon. I can only imagine what kind of trouble your relationship will get him into."

Plenty of trouble, it would seem. The baby's foot pressed on her ribs, causing her to shift positions. Then something occurred to her.

"This can work. Don't you see?"

Adina frowned. "What are you thinking?"

"Lorenzo is heir to Castillon." She rubbed her belly where the foot still pressed. The pressure eased. "If Lorenzo is willing to acknowledge his son, the child will be the next heir, sharing heritage of both people, and also creating blood ties with my family in Kalad. We can stop the war and your village can exist openly. My son will respect the Hilliri who live here because of me, and the Trillas, because of his father. You will, of course have to agree to Castillon's rule." A warmth spread through her as she smiled. Everything would work out perfectly.

_________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of Ungloved. If you did, please consider voting so that it has a chance to receive some more attention by rising up the ranks in the (rather large) Fantasy category. I also enjoy comments, so please feel free to let me know what you thought.

Cheers!

Rebecca