Chapter Nineteen, part two - A Birth and Peace

There was still fighting all around Liriel as she hid behind her rock. She waited, crouched down as the sound of battle surrounded her; shouts and cries and the clang of steel. Within the hour, though, things started to slow, and she relaxed a little.

Finally she heard the horn signal a retreat, as the Hilliri withdrew to their camp. The Castillonians began to gather nearby. She waited anxiously, peering out occasionally, but not seeing Lorenzo in their midst. She did see Marcusi, and the woman, Renata, and others from her first time here.

She wanted to speak with them, but hesitated. She wasn't sure they would welcome her, and there was the risk they would capture her and consider her an enemy prisoner. She remembered how her people had treated Lorenzo and his people when they were prisoners. She couldn't expect any better, thought it was possible they could be kinder. At least, she didn't believe they held ideas about their superiority over the Hilliri the way the Hilliri did about the Trillas.

Finally, she saw a taller man join the group. From a distance, she couldn't see enough details to know for certain, but her heart told her it was him. The shape was so familiar.

She came out quietly from hiding and walk as directly as she could toward him, hoping it would be safe.

He didn't see her right away, but the woman, Renata turned in her direction and waved. "Look who's here, my lord."

The group of Castillonians turned as one.

Marcusi, standing beside Rentata, sported a frown. "It's your woman, Lorenzo. I had hoped this would end the way all of your other liaisons have."

Lorenzo turned then, and Liriel saw his surprise and joy, mixed in with a little bit of fear. He stepped a few strides towards her and took the baby from her. He pressed her to his side.

"How did you get here?"

"You know how I travel."

Lorenzo nodded. It wasn't something the others would be comfortable knowing about her.

Marcusi scowled down at her. He was going to be trouble.

Liriel turned to Lorenzo's cousin and pulled herself up as tall as she could manage. "I'm his wife, according to Hilliri custom. If that's not good enough for you, I'm happy to partake in whatever rituals the Trillas engage in as well in order to be recognized as such."

Marcusi lifted his brows to fake being impressed.

The sarcasm was not lost on Lorenzo. "Cousin, please show her some respect, if not as my wife, then as the daughter of King Tarkhan. Show her we know how to behave among other nobles."

Marcusi shifted aspects, becoming more bland in expression. "As you command, cousin."

Liriel remembered her brother. "I talked to Valran. The Kaldene army is withdrawing."

Lorenzo looked amazed. "How did you manage to do that?"

"He's had some time to think, and he's shifted his opinion. Like you, he was being pushed in a direction he didn't agree with. I simply showed him he had to stand up for what was right."

Lorenzo shook his head and smiled.

Marcusi looked unsatisfied. "So the king will send someone else to lead the fight. How does that change anything?"

Renata stepped into the circle."Don't mind him, he's just worried about his woman."

Marcusi stiffened. "I told you Gisella is fine. Why do you have to tell everyone?"

Renata turned to Liriel. "She's pregnant, and she's not doing well."

Liriel raised an eyebrow. "What's wrong with her?"