Chapter Seven Part Two

At dawn, Liriel and her lover lay in sleepy languor on the carpet of pine needles, their scattered clothing affording them slight protection from the sharpness. Sunlight spread dappled patterns over their bare skin, bringing warmth. The question lingering in Liriel's mind was...how was she going to leave after this? 

She should return to her people, and soon. She'd planned to, although after freeing Lorenzo, the punishment would be severe, but it was best to deal with the situation quickly. 

"Good morning again, my lady saviour." Lorenzo pulled her toward him, kissing her on the forehead. Normally it would have seemed a brotherly gesture, but somehow he made it feel entirely different. 

Liriel rolled over to look on his face. 

"Good morning, my stranger." She gazed down on him and grinned.

"No stranger now," he countered, drawing her down for another kiss, this one on the lips. He withdrew, laying his head back on the ground. "You've spoiled me." He sighed.

"For what?"

"How am I supposed to go back to Castillon now?" He kissed her again, slow and lingering, warming her. Liriel thought to resist so she could leave, but found she didn't have the heart to break away just yet. Instead, she stroked his cheek and looked into his eyes. There was a lively sparkle in their deep blue that spoke to her without sound. Something, it appeared, had changed for both of them last night; something that would not go away easily.

Liriel slid herself over on top of Lorenzo and kissed him for a long while. "We could stay right here?" They couldn't remain indefinitely, but perhaps a while longer.

Without her gloves on, when she touched him she sensed both his surface thoughts and his physical reactions. He caressed her back, hips and legs. She bit her lip as she realized she wasn't done with him just yet.

"Yes... I think I'm going to stay right here for at least the next few days." Liriel surprised herself as the words slipped out. She had really intended to return today. Perhaps she could afford to spend a little more time here.

#

It was a long day; one of the happiest Liriel could ever remember. Once she had given her desires their headway, she opened herself to every sensation. They talked for hours, laughing and whispering, each sharing much of their selves as they had never done before. The subject of leaving lingered in the air, unspoken and ignored. In between talking, they made love, exploring one another thoroughly. When they were done, they started over again. 

#

One day led into a next, and then another. After three more days, Liriel woke lightheaded and trembling, even as she lay in the sunshine.

"You're cold?" Lorenzo bent down to stroke her arms and taking her hands into his own. He brought them to his lips and blew warm air on them. He reached for a blanket, one that she had transported here, to cover her. 

Something was wrong, Liriel could feel it. She lay back and closed her eyes, drawing her concentration inward to check her body as she did with her patients. For a long while she searched, but she could find no cause, no dysfunction anywhere. She sensed, though, that her level of maru was ebbing. When she healed, she monitored her levels to be sure she had enough left, but she hadn't done any work since repairing Lorenzo's injuries four days passed. Afterward she'd drawn more maru from one of the trees to replenish herself. She should be near to capacity now, yet she felt as drained as if she had healed an entire infirmary full of injured soldiers.

She needed to recharge soon, or she would have difficulty rising. Reaching over for a nearby tree, she drew in maru from its core the moment she touched it. As the life force flowed into her, she felt renewed, alive again. When she had her fill, a feeling of well-being washed over her and suffused her with warmth. She felt a throbbing pulse in her neck and groin, as if she had just attained a climax. A groan escaped her as she released the tree.