Chapter Twenty Three - Finale

The tension in the gathering echoed throughout the glade. Everyone was staring at Liriel. Marcusi was restrained in a chair by two large Castillonians.

Liriel approached him, meeting Marcusi's eyes with her most gentle glance. "My lord Marcusi, I know you love Lorenzo. I know you believe what you do is right, but you have gone against his will and now you must prove your loyalty and obedience in an irrefutable way."

He tossed his hair back with a jerk of his head. "What would you have me do? Cut off my own hand to prove myself?"

Liriel winced at the thought. "If you speak a pledge, I can verify the truth of it with my abilities." The Hilliri among the gathered murmured in surprise.

Marcusi glanced at them whispering with concern. "You would bewitch me to say what you wished. Lorenzo would have me executed for treason."

Liriel sighed. He should know her better than that. "Search your heart, Marcusi. You don't like me. I'm a foreigner who is forcing change by my presence into your well-ordered world. But when I heard your woman, Gisella was suffering, I went to her to save her life, and her baby's as well. Your baby's. I delivered him, and now he is well. You may not realize how much it cost me. You don't know what Marulan healers do, and I don't expect you to understand." She glanced at the Hilliri watching her.

Marcusi looked puzzled. She had challenged him to think differently, and he wasn't someone who accepted change easily. "What do I have to do, then?"

"Just tell Lorenzo what you wish. I will put my hands on yours, and through this contact, I will be able to sense if your words are true or conflicted."

Marcusi considered for a moment. Lorenzo approached him.

"Cousin, will you reaffirm your allegiance and promise me you won't do such a thing again. I need you and, I have to be able to trust you." Lorenzo glanced at Liriel. "She won't hurt you, cousin. I swear it."

Marcusi looked at each of the men of Castillon who were assembled in the circle as he considered. Liriel followed his gaze.

"Very well, but I declare I will not say anything against Lorenzo, so if I do, you know she is false."

That was good enough for Liriel, though she wished he would trust her more. Perhaps with time he might.

#

After Marcusi swore his oath and Lorenzo officially accepted it, the soldiers released him from their grip. Liriel had sensed no falseness in his assertion. He shrugged off the tension in his shoulders. Ergin motioned for the Alterrans and those from the other village to come forward.

Lorenzo stood as they lined up to speak to him, one at a time. Liriel watched as the people she had come to know brought him gifts, beautiful handmade things of the very finest quality. Lorenzo bowed to each as he accepted their gifts and their oaths. Liriel took the gifts from him and thanked them as well, then placed the items on the table with the rest.

It took a long while, as there were a surprising number of villagers, but Lorenzo made no effort to hurry them. This was a solemn occasion. At the end, Adina came to them and kissed them both.

"I accept you as my liege, Lorenzo Calimero, Lord of Castillon."

"I accept your pledge, Adina Istamine, Marulan of Alterra. You have already given me a great gift in caring for my wife and son. I can accept no more from you. In fact, I believe I am still in your debt."

Adina stepped aside for Ergin to approach. He knelt briefly and rose. Lorenzo nodded for him to begin.

"I give my oath to you, Lorenzo Calimero, Lord of Castillon, but I ask one from you in return. The people of these villages have been in hiding because they felt they might not be accepted if they were known. Will you agree to support their efforts to continue with their way of life?"

"Ergamin Lotreah, I accept your oath and agree to support your people's way of life. All those here witness that the people of these villages intend to live in a manner of their own choosing. I will not ask them to change, nor will I allow others to do so." He turned back to Ergin. "Is that good enough for you?"

Ergin smiled and nodded. "More than adequate." They shook hands and Ergin kissed Liriel on the cheek. "I have a gift for you, my lady." Several villagers arrived with a large flat package covered with a sheet. They stood, waiting.

Liriel reached out and pulled the sheet off. As the fabric fluttered in the breeze, she saw the image revealed on the canvas underneath. It was a painting, done with a rough, loose brush, of the battle scene of only a few days passed. He must have rushed to do this work. All the elements were there, the two armies, the villagers, and she and Lorenzo in the centre, facing the King. Liriel was thankful he chose the moment after the healing rather than the one just as she was injured. She hoped people wouldn't dwell on the thing she would have difficulty explaining.

Taking in the whole scene, she realized how well conceived it was. The roughness lent an immediacy to the emotions it evoked. Looking at it she was transported back to that very moment, as painful and poignant as it was the first time. She hugged Ergin, who reacted with surprise.

"It's remarkable, Ergin. What an absolutely incredible depiction."

Lorenzo examined the work as well, though from his expression she wondered how much of an appreciation he had for art.

"Thank your for this exquisite gift, Ergin, though I would have applied what I said to Adina to you as well. You owe me nothing. It is I who owes you. Thank you all the same."

"I was inspired by the events to record them while they were still fresh in my mind."

As the gifts were gathered and put aside, Lorenzo held up a hand for quiet. "I have one more thing to add to this proceeding." He glanced at Liriel, but she had no idea what he had planned. He hadn't consulted her.

"It has been pointed out to me by my cousin and others-" He pause to get everyone's attention. "Although Liriel and I have chosen one another as mates. We made our vows according to Hilliri custom, in private, but haven't done so in the manner of the Trillas." He looked over at Liriel, and there was no mistaking his expression of affection. He held out a hand for her to join him. She handed Liran over to Adina and went to him, wondering what he was planning.

"My dear, I hope you will forgive me for surprising you like this."

Liriel shrugged.

"I want us to be married according to Trillas custom as well. Will you accept?"

Liriel grinned. She wasn't going to abandon Lorenzo now, not after all they had been through. The small formality didn't trouble her. Still, it was different, looking around at the hundreds of people gathered there.

"If it pleases you, my lord, I accept."

Lorenzo turned her to face him. "Oh, it pleases me, very much."

_________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of Ungloved. If you did, please consider voting so that it has a chance to receive some more attention by rising up the ranks in the (rather large) Fantasy category. I also enjoy comments, so please feel free to let me know what you thought.

In addition, I have begun posting another work set in the same world where baby Liran has grown up, entitled "Unsheathed". I hope you will consider checking it out.  https://www.wattpad.com/story/52018892-unsheathed

If you would like to join my mailing list for notification of any works that I will be publishing, please go to my website at www.rebeccasimkin.com. 

Thank you for following me on my writing adventures!

Rebecca