Chapter Eighteen, part one - Family Ties

Lorenzo stopped his pacing when he saw his father standing at the door.

"There are somethings I need to discuss with you, father."

Carlosi looked impatient.

"Well, I'm here. Discuss."

Liriel was surprised his patience was so short, especially with his own son. Did he not love him?

"How long are we going to continue this war? Is there anything we can do to make peace. We need to get on with life, to build Castillon into the land we have dreamed of." Hearing the earnestness of his plea, Liriel loved Lorenzo even more.

"You surprise me with such a simple question. You know what has to happen. The Hilliri have to withdraw their claim to the forest lands in the north." He looked around. His gaze landed on Liriel. She held her breath. "Why have you brought a woman here?"

Lorenzo looked uncomfortable. If his father was anything like hers, whatever he had been rehearsing in his head had probably abandoned him under the man's intense stare.

Moments passed in uncomfortable silence. It would be up to Liriel to speak. She stood and approached this old and irritable man.

"I am Liriel, my Lord, Liriel Godehera." She gave the man time to think as she unwrapped her scarf.

"You are my nemesis' offspring, I suppose. What are you doing here in my house? Has my son taken you as a hostage? If so, then I applaud him for his ingenuity."

Liriel held her response. This wasn't going well.

"No, I'm not his hostage. I'm his wife." Again she let the idea sink in. The next message would be even harder to tell.

Carlosi turned to his son and stared up into his face. Lorenzo waited, without guilt in his expression. Liriel was proud of him.

"Are you joking? Trillas don't marry Hilliri. "

"I know it won't please you, very little does, but Liriel is also another way we can find peace."

"Please me! It would have pleased me if you would have agreed to marry the daughter of the lord of Gildahest when I asked."

"Please father, hear me out. It would have accomplished nothing to marry that girl. We are not at war with Gildahest. If you talk to Liriel's father, the King of Kalad, you might be able to create a treaty with the union to bind it."

Carlosi turned an odd shade of red. Liriel hoped he wasn't going to have a brain bleed in front of them.

"I doubt the King of Kalad would be any happier than I am with this." Carlosi flopped his arm in her direction.

He was probably right. It surprised her to note that her father would likely have a similar reaction. These two powerful men had a lot in common.

"Father, will you try? I can't bear to watch our people dying everyday while we fight. Fighting has cost me my brother, my friends and so many others." He bent to his knees and looked up at the man.

"What would please me, foolish son, is if you would set this woman aside."

A chill went down Liriel as the man spoke. Lorenzo looked shocked as well. She wondered if he was tempted to do what his father asked. She had to trust Lorenzo.

She lifted Liran out of his carry sling and held him up for the old man to see. "We have neglected to introduce you to another guest. This is our son, Liran Calimero."

She watched as Carlosi simmered. He stared at the baby. Liran wriggled and smacked his lips. She willed Carlosi to see the child for what he was; sweet, innocent, harmless, lovable. "Your grandson."