Chapter Fourteen - Part One - Choices

Once explained, Liriel's plan appeared to have some large holes. She still hadn't figured out how to convince two rulers to stop fighting. She also had no idea how to get the Alterrans to accept Castillon's rule. It was fine to suggest that eventually their son would be their leader, but he was a newborn, and it would be many years before he was ready to step into his father's shoes, or his grandfather's.

"We could look after things until he grows up." Liriel felt a little shy about suggesting joint rule when she was the outsider. "I could advise you on any matters concerning the Hilliri."

"My dear, that's all well and good, but there's just one problem. My father is aging, but he's far from ready to leave us. He's much too stubborn to abdicate either." Lorenzo swung around in his chair to face the painting above the bed. "I couldn't even get him to call a cease fire so that we could start talking about stop the fighting. He sent me right back to lead the fight."

Liriel caressed her sleeping baby as he lay on the bed beside her. He looked so sweet like this, his arms flung up above his head, his chest rising as he breathed, his expression so relaxed. It was hard to imagine he had been screaming at full volume only an hour ago.

Lorenzo shifted in his chair and turned to view the painting from a different angle. Outside, they could hear Ergin address concerned neighbours at the door. By afternoon, the whole village had heard that a Trillas was staying in Ergin and Adina's house.

Liriel looked at Lorenzo. He was listening too. "We may be stretching the Alterran's acceptance beyond their breaking point."

"I don't expect them to see me as anything but an enemy. They have no reason to trust me or any Trillas for that matter."

"You don't know that. These people took me in and allowed me to join them in their secret home without knowing anything about me."

Lorenzo looked amazed. "As if any would think you dangerous."

"You have no idea the extent of my abilities, Lorenzo. Healing is the gentle part, but turned around, the same abilities become deadly."

Lorenzo's expression passed from shocked to respectful. "My delicate Liriel, are you saying I should consider you to be a dangerous killer?"

Liriel laughed. "I couldn't hurt anyone, love. But I know how, and I suppose, under some circumstances, it's possible I could kill to defend myself, or..." She looked at little Liran snoring on the bed. She could kill to defend him.

Lorenzo's expression turned dark. "I hope you never have to." He caressed her arm, taking her hand in his, drawing it to his lips. His mustache tickled her. "Every time you kill, it darkens a little part of your spirit."

He was talking about himself, she realized. Wishing to change the mood, Liriel thought of something else she wanted to know. "Who is this cousin of yours?"

Lorenzo leaned over the bed and toyed with the baby's dark curls. Liriel felt love wash over her. It was hard to believe he was finally here with her. "Marcusi is my uncle's son from my mother's side. He's been by my constant companion since we were children." He continued to look at Liran as he dozed, though the baby wiggled occasionally, pursing his tiny lips.

Lorenzo's lips twitched and spread into a smile. He wiggled his brows. looking up at Liriel and his face turned suddenly serious.

Reviewing her brief encounter with his cousin and the woman, Renata, Liriel remembered she had another question for Lorenzo. "You called me your wife."

"It was urgent they stand down, so I used words they would understand quickly. Even if it's not official, it's how I feel about you, Liriel, now more than ever." He glanced at the sleeping baby again.

For a moment, Liriel struggled with what to say. She loved Lorenzo so much. She had longed for him for many months. She ached to have their union made official, though she had never intended to at the start. By Hilliri custom, though, they were already married. A vow and a night together was all that was required. She had never mentioned this to him, having never intended to hold him to this.

His customs were so different. Yet, in spite of her initial willingness to let him go, it was getting harder to not feel attached to him. "There's something I didn't want to tell you before."

"But you're going to tell me now, apparently."

Liriel smiled. "I wasn't going to tell you because I didn't intend to hold you to it. By our customs, we are already married."

Lorenzo's serious expression broke into a wide smile and he laughed. "I'm relieved to learn I wasn't lying when I called you my wife. Though, apparently, I've missed my own wedding."

Liriel gave him a saucy grin. "At least you had your wedding night."

Lorenzo slipped onto the bed beside the baby, encircling him and her within his arms. To Liriel, nothing could have felt sweeter.

They laughed for a while, forgetting that they might wake the baby. When Liran woke, he squeaked as if he was laughing too, and Lorenzo became quiet. He gathered up the baby in his strong arms, leaning back against the pillow and looked at Liriel with complete concentration.

His deep blue eyes shot an arrow in her heart. "If it's what you want, Liriel, I will honour your tradition, for his sake, as well as our own. Shall we be husband and wife, then?"

As Liriel watched the baby pat Lorenzo's bearded chin and squeal, she realized this was all she ever wanted. "Yes."

They played with the baby for a while, fascinated by his tiny movements and expressions. Lorenzo was lost in thought as he dangled his fingers in Liran's tiny grasping hands. He kept one hand holding Liriel's though, as she might drift away.

"Can you explain something to me? How do they decide who is heir from amongst you and your siblings."

Liriel shrugged. "The nobility choses from amongst us. My sister, Selana is the eldest, but I doubt she would ever be selected. She's too worried about appearances and behaving properly. Valran is next, and I would expect he would be the likeliest choice, since he is a military leader. I am the youngest, and the smallest, so nobody pays much attention to me." It was mostly true, but she had tried not to draw attention to herself. She was too different.

"I know what you must be wondering. You think when my father dies that I might be placed on the throne of Kalad, but I believe there is little chance of that. Although my actions in freeing you were kept quiet, and my punishment was unannounced, there are still a few who knew. Someone would come forward, maybe even my brother or my sister, to reveal my shame and make me appear unsuitable."

Lorenzo remained quiet and thoughtful for a while. Ergin entered the room.

"We need to talk to the village tonight. The people are upset about Lorenzo being here and are asking for an explanation."

Lorenzo stood and looked Ergin straight on. "Then we shall offer them an explanation." He looked back at Liriel. "And a choice."

_________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of Ungloved. If you did, please consider voting so that it has a chance to receive some more attention by rising up the ranks in the (rather large) Fantasy category. I also enjoy comments, so please feel free to let me know what you thought.

Cheers!

Rebecca