Chapter Twenty One, part one - How to Stop a War

When they reached the space between the two sides, like two parallel lines stretching out to reach across the hills and plains, Ergin's people filed out to stand between them, all the way along like a third line sandwiched between the others. Liriel walked on until she could see her father nearly straight in front of her. He didn't appear to notice her yet. That would change.

She pulled Liran from his sling and held him up so the soldiers could see. She saw panic in their eyes as she passed. No doubt they hoped not to have to attack an unarmed woman with a baby in her arms. They glanced over at the King, checking to see if his resolve had changed.

Liriel approached him and breathed in. "My lord and father. Do you not recognize your own daughter?"

The man on the brindled bay urged his horse forward. As he neared, Liriel could see he looked tired, unhappy, and unsure. It was a new experience for her to see such things on her father's face. His long white hair blew out behind him, under his helmet, in the wind. His eyes were almost clear, his skin paler than watered milk.

"You've changed, daughter. What's that you're holding in your arms?"

"I've come to present your grandson to you, father. His father, Lorenzo Calimero is now lord of Castillon and my husband."

The King pulled his head back as his mouth dropped open. "How is it that you've chosen a Trillas, Liriel? It's not right or natural."

Liriel steeled herslef. This wasn't going to be an easy discussion, and less so with thousands listening in. "We want to live in peace, father, here in Castillon. Your presence with your army is an impediment. I beg you to make peace with my husband for the sake of his people andand yours. They have done you no harm nor have they given you any cause for concern."

"That may be, daughter, or not. I have lost many in battle here over the last while, and there is still the matter of the Hilliri who live in these parts. I intend to keep them under the wing of Kalad. I cannot afford an exodus."

Liriel couldn't help but think he's brought this on himself. "The people of whom you speak are here, father. They stand in between your army and the people of Castillon. They are not many nor are unarmed." She motioned for Ergin to come forward.

Ergin bowed just enough. "Greetings, my lord, welcome to Castillon. The people here represent the five villages we have established in secret. We left Kalad because we have not loved the lives we lived there. Our dreams led us to establish a new way of life. We ask you to leave us in peace."

"But to whom will you pledge allegiance? Surely Castillon will object to the Hilliri living within their borders?"

Lorenzo, who had been standing nearby enough to hear the exchange, sheathed his sword and stepped forward to join Ergin and the village people, standing by Liriel.

Liriel's father stared at him, running his eyes up and down Lorenzo's impressive height. She could imagine him wondering what she saw in this man. She looked at Lorenzo too, and felt only love. While the future here was uncertain, standing here between two armies, facing possible death, she had no regrets for the choice she had made.

Liriel turned to face her father. It was time to end this war--past time. She held out Liran to show him to her father. The baby looked bright and alert. Surprisingly, he showed no signs of fear. He might not understand the import of what was going on around him, but one day he would. She wanted him to be proud of his parents.

Today Liriel was determined to stop this war.

With Liran in her outstretched arms, she moved forward, taking slow steps. She had to hope that her father would be moved by his affection for her, and the innocence of the baby in her arms, as strange as he might seem.