Chapter Seven

Liriel leaned over to check on Lorenzo. He sighed lightly and opened his eyes, jerking back in surprise that she was so close by. She sat back on her heels to give him some space and he relaxed. She smiled gently to welcome him to wakefulness. It was still dark, probably late in the night, and only a small amount of starlight pierced the branches overhead. His deep blue eyes met hers and he returned a smile.

He reached out and put his hand on her arm. It was an invitation. She stroked his cheek with her bare hand, feeling the smooth skin under the rough beard.

Somewhere between sleeping and waking this night, Liriel had found her resolve. She slid into Lorenzo's arms, dropping all of her mental barriers at once. Not giving access to the deep secret places of the mind, but to the surface thoughts that pertained particularly to the here and now. His mouth opened in surprise as he understood the thoughts that were now open to him.He kissed Liriel, soft and tenderly at first. A wave of emotion washed over her...her own...his...theirs. It didn't matter anymore. They were one of mind now.

"Are you sure?" Lorenzo asked as he paused to catch his breath.

"Completely."

As she pressed her body against his, Liriel tried to chase the reasons why she shouldn't from her mind.

Sensations swam around Liriel as she lost herself in the moment. Lorenzo untied her bodice with skill, caressing her. He carefully drew her skirts down over her hips, kissing her gently as he went. She felt unsure; unskilled. She had no experience to draw upon to guide her. Such things were not even spoken of in Kalad.

She reached into his open shirt and touched his bare skin. For a second, Liriel saw afterimages of another time and place. It was Lorenzo with another woman, similarly engaged.

It was not unexpected. The abilities she possessed made her susceptible to touch-memories: images of the past imprinted into objects or flesh that came unbidden into her mind. It was one of the reasons so many Hilliri wore those cursed gloves. She withdrew her hand in distaste.

The touch-memories reminded her that by choosing Lorenzo this night, Liriel would forsake any possibility of bonding with a Hilliri man. None would have her now - not with the memories of this night imprinted on her body, just as Lorenzo's past was imprinted on his own flesh.

It wouldn't be possible for Liriel to avoid touching Lorenzo. If she was going to love him, she had to accept this part of him. She had to try and bear it.

She reached again for Lorenzo's shirt, and pulled it carefully over his head. He held her against his bare chest. She was fascinated by the soft layer of hair that grew there, and drew a hand across it, noting the shape of the muscles. He was nicely built, with broad shoulders and well-muscled arms. Images danced across her vision as she touched, but she continued, determined not to let this effect trouble her. After a while she realized that she was mimicking the movements of the women who flashed into her mind, as if they were instructing her. Liriel took heart, gaining confidence as she went. Lorenzo flashed a bright smile.

Lorenzo went slowly, coaxing her with care, surprising her awakening sensuality. Bright new sensations blossomed as she allowed herself to unfold.

Afterward, they lay curled up against each other, Lorenzo staring into her eyes as he twirled a bit of her hair around his fingers. Liriel had expected to be surprised by the new sensations, but what had she offered Lorenzo to make him feel the same?

"At first, I thought you were...inexperienced. Later...I thought surely I must be wrong," he whispered to her as he held her hand and kissed it.

How could anyone regret an exquisite night spent in love under a starry sky? Liriel reflected that the moment was beautiful enough even to be worth what she had given up for it. She sighed, thinking that if her lover had been Hilliri, this would have been her wedding night, for her people made their pledges to one another in private, and always sealed them with their first act of love.

They had made no promises, she and Lorenzo, and Liriel hadn't asked for any.

Lorenzo continued to caress her until Liriel felt herself awaken anew. Smiling, Liriel allowed herself to be led once again down the sweet path of desire, to rise and fall all over again, as the night wore on. Tomorrow, she would return to her people and live as a spinster and be happy for having had this one perfect night.

_________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of Ungloved. If you did, please consider voting so that it has a chance to receive some more attention by rising up the ranks in the (rather large) Fantasy category. I also enjoy comments, so please feel free to let me know what you thought.

Cheers!

Rebecca