Chapter Twenty, part two - Torn Between

Well before dawn, an alarm sounded, shouts echoing throughout the camp. Liriel heard the sounds of people gathering their weapons.

She bundled the baby into his sling and bent over to gather up their blanket. Lorenzo ran here and there calling people to arms, organizing the fighters. He came to check her. She looked up at him with a furrowed brow.

"What's happening?"

"Scouts have spotted the Kaldene army on the march. They're heading this way."

Liriel's heart began to pound. She wondered if her brother had double-crossed her again.

Lorenzo placed his hands on her shoulders and looked into her eyes. "I want you to go to Gisella's village. That way you'll be away from the fighting. I need you and the baby to be safe."

The thought of being separated from him troubled her. "I could be more useful here. There will be injured people, or I could parlay with the army."

"You won't be able to heal them all, and you'll be in danger. I can't be distracted worrying about you. Please, Liriel." He waved someone over. It was Renata.

"I need my wife and son to be somewhere safe. Can you take them to Gisella's village?"

If Renata was unhappy she would be missing a fight, she didn't show it. She nodded and grabbed Liriel's hand, pulling her away.

"Wait!" Liriel wanted to say goodbye, but Lorenzo was already elsewhere, giving orders. She took a moment to will him to be safe. She turned to follow Renata away. They managed to run a few minutes before they started to hear the sounds of the army cresting a hill, coming into range of the others. The first light of dawn gave the world a rosy glow, but it was hard for Liriel to find beauty when a war was within her sight.

"Come, Liriel, we need to get farther away. The battle will begin in moments!"

Liriel couldn't move. She stood within the shelter of a stand of trees on a rise, but she peered out, watching as the banners of Kalad rippled in the breeze. She gazed in fascination as the Castillonians lined up to face the marchers, who had paused, waiting for their opponents to assemble.

In the distance, Liriel spotted a man on horseback, a brindled bay with one white sock. Her heart sunk as she realized that her father was in command. He always rode a horse with that rare and unusual coat. Liriel hugged the tree for support.

"We have to leave, Liriel."

She breathed again, forcing herself to form words.

"My father is in command."

Renata paused. She watched the scene unfold beside Liriel. Neither could leave.

Tears began to stream down Liriel's cheeks. "I wanted to stop this war so much."

There was no way to stop it now. Many lives would be lost today.

"There are more Hilliri coming from the east." Renata pointed to a group of people, all on foot, who were heading towards the other parties. Liriel watched them creep slowly forward, flanking the others. As the sun rose, the light improved. She strained to determine who they were. She noted their civilian dress. These were not soldiers. Their clothing was brighter in colour and more varied than the dress of the people in Kalad, though. It struck her that the only people who dressed like that were the villagers of Alterra.

"Those people aren't armed. They're peaceful."

Renata frowned. "What are they doing here, then?"

"Trying to stop a war, I think. Renata, we need to go to them."

"Wait, no. I have orders to take you to the village."

"I'm afraid I can't do that. Come with me or go where you will. I'm sorry I have to force you to choose."

If she stayed nearby, Liriel reasoned that she would likely need to do some healing soon. As she held onto a tree already, she simply tapped into it, gathering in a great deal of maru. She moved on to the next tree and did the same. Renata wouldn't realize what she was doing.

For a moment, Liriel wondered how much was enough and when it might be too much. She clasped a third tree, absently almost draining it before she released her grip. She had never taken so much, but she felt so strong now. So strong, and capable of handling anything.

They headed down the hill towards the Alterrans on the plain. The armies held their places, no doubt waiting to see who these newcomers were. She strode boldly, not trying to hide. There was little point. She could feel the maru simmering inside her. It brimmed over, drifting out, but she was certain no one could see. Only she had the special sight that would detect the phenomenon.

She felt as if she could fly. Nothing could touch her. She floated down to greet Ergin and Adina who were at the lead of their group. She looked at their number. Too many unfamiliar faces, too many to be just from Alterra alone.

"Ergin, where did you find all of these people? What are you doing here?"

She noticed he had a wild look. He was taking a huge risk, and he must realize this. Just being here was terribly dangerous.

"You shouldn't be here, Liriel. You have too many ties to the other side. You will be conflicted."

Liriel shook her head. "No, Ergin. This is where I must be. We have a war to stop. I presume that's why you're all here too."

Ergin nodded. "Not only have we brought the Alterrans, but four other villages as well."

Liriel was struck by this news. "Other villages?"

"Alterra wasn't the only place in Castillon the Hilliri have established." He focused on Renata who was still walking by Liriel, but looking less sure of why she was there. Liriel realized the woman likely wouldn't understand her conversation. She turned to explain to her in the common language of the Trillas.

"This is Ergamin Lotreah. He is the leader of a village hidden near the border in Castillon."

Renata's eyes widened. A secret Hilliri village in her country would trouble her, Liriel realized.

"The King of Kalad, my father, wants to claim the village and the lands around it for his kingdom, using these people as the excuse for his invasion, however these villagers have come here to be beyond the reach of Kalad and their ways. They would rather even fall under Castillon's rule than return to their old country" She reflected that she spoke as if she were no longer of Kalad.

Liriel turned back to Ergin and spoke in Hilliri. "What are you planning?" He was still heading with intent right towards the two sides who were ready to fight.

"We plan to stand in the way, Liriel. We have awoken our true natures here in Castillon. If we can't stay here, or if Kalad overruns it, our way of life is forfeit."

Liriel understood. It was a bold choice, and likely many of them would be killed, yet she respected their right to choose to defend their ways. She decided she liked this plan and wanted to stand with them, walking right into the battle in order to stop the war. Lorenzo would be upset, angry even, but she could no longer be someone who stood by and waited for others to fix problems. This year she had changed so much. She belonged with these people now.

"I'm coming with you, Ergin. Renata, you can either stay with us or return to your people and fight." The woman made to protest, but looked around, seeing determination on every last person's face, she didn't speak.

"I'll stay with you and protect you if I can. I think that's what Lorenzo would want."

Liriel nodded, and turned to walk on with the others.

_________________________________

I hope you enjoyed this instalment of Ungloved. If you did, please consider voting so that it has a chance to receive some more attention by rising up the ranks in the (rather large) Fantasy category. I also enjoy comments, so please feel free to let me know what you thought.

Cheers!

Rebecca