Chapter Twenty Two, part two - Peace at Last

After noon, Lorenzo and Liriel took some fine horses from the stable and rode with a large contingent of Castillonian soldiers to Alterra. They still didn't know exactly where the village lay, but Ergin had agreed to meet them at a nearby crossroad and guide them the rest of the way.

With the baby tucked into his sling and Lorenzo riding beside her and the wind running through her hair, Liriel felt refreshed and invigorated.

Valran had returned to the Hilliri camp at the border to review the details of their treaty with their father. They would meet at Alterra as well, in order to sign it with witnesses from both sides. Liriel wondered where all those people were going to fit in the small village.

When they arrived, she had her answer. The townspeople had erected awnings and tents all over the commons. The field was filled with waving pennants. Furniture was brought out for outdoor meeting, and additional benches were constructed of planks of wood set atop notched whole logs.

"You've been busy, Ergin." Liriel wondered how they had managed with less than a day's warning.

"We occasionally have meetings with the other villages. Some of this is brought out for those occasions."

Liriel sighed. The place was so full with people, Trillas and Hilliri, villagers and soldiers. The tranquility of Alterra seemed permanently changed.

Everyone was obliged to lay their weapons down before entering the common area. Alterrans took charge of supervising this. Many on both sides were reluctant to part with the assurance such possessions gave them. Adina was there to soften them and did well at kindly reminding them that peace required different tools. Liriel smiled seeing her friend in such a role.

She decided Marulan were suited for peacekeeping.

At length, Liriel settled herself in a comfortable chair, meant more for indoor use with its padded seat and back, but excellent for weary mothers with hungry babies. She swayed a little to settle Liran as he fussed with the noise of the gathering. As she nursed, she watched the Kaldene soldiers being placed in their seats and how they interacted with the villagers and the Castillonian Trillas. It was going to take a long time for everyone to get used to the new order of things.

"Daughter, may I join you." Liriel looked up to see her father, looking worn but resolute. Liriel nodded and he took a nearby chair of similar design and brought it over beside hers. "Liriel, how is the boy?"

The question stopped Liriel. It was the most caring thing he'd said to her in years.

"He's a happy traveler."

She examined her father's face. He was developing that weathered look that Ergin and Adina had. She didn't remember how old he was, but he might very well be near to their age. "Thank you for thinking to shield him. He's still so young, but I would hate for him to be imprinted by violence."

The king patted her arm with his gloved hand. It had been so long since Liriel had bothered with gloves, she had almost forgotten how common they were in Kalad.

"I'm glad you live, Liriel. You have always been unusual, and I admit I have never been good at understanding you..." Liriel turned to see him struggle with words. "I guess I just want to say that I'm proud of the woman you've grown into."

A lump formed in Liriel's throat, making her unable to speak for a moment. Those were words she had always hoped to hear, but never expected.

"I will never forget that you made peace for my sake, father." He patted her arm again and withdrew his hand. There was a commotion building in the centre of the common. Tarkhan stood, looking down on her. "I believe it's time for things to start. Are you staying here or going to the centre?"