Chapter 2

David’s POV

I was writing down rules that Althea and I will follow as soon as possible when I checked the time.The clock read 2:30 p.m. I’ll be late for my next class. I grabbed my bag, ran to my car and drove away. I turned my GPS on and told it where to go. After an hour of driving, I got to my student’s house right on time.

“Hi, you’re Ryan’s new teacher right? “A lady probably in her late 40s asked me. I nodded and she led me to their piano.

“Thank you.” I said to her and she started calling her son. I opened the piano and started warming up.

“HI.” A kid greeted.

“You must be Ryan. Come here, how old are you?”

“6.”I nodded and scooted over so he could sit down.

“Do you know how to play any songs on the piano?”

“Yankee Doodle.” Ryan said biting his finger.

“That’s great. Do you love playing the piano?” I asked him.

“Yes.” he nodded smiling.

“Okay dude, are you ready?” I asked him placing his hands on the key. He started playing Yankee Doodle and I watched him.

“Have you been practicing? I think you’re ready for a new song.”

“Really? Yay!” he clapped his hands together and jumped.

“Whoa, looks like someone’s excited.” I unzipped my bag and got the sheet out.

“Ready?” I asked him hiding the paper’s contents on my chest.

“Yes! Yes! What is it?” Ryan asked trying to see what the paper is.

“Op. No cheating. Guess what it is.”

“Uh…I have no clue.”

“I have 2 songs for you.” I placed his fingers on the keys.

“Now press as I say.” I told him also placing my fingers on the piano.

“3, 3, 3, 1, 2, 2, 1 hold, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3 hold.”

“That was Farmer Jack. Now here’s a song you might know.” I placed his fingers on the keys.

“3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3 hold, 2, 2, 2, hold, 3, 5, 5 hold.” I told him as he press on the keys.

“What song was that?”

“Mary had a little lamb!” he yelled delighted.

“Good job, Ryan. Now practice these songs for tomorrow okay? I have to go.”

“Aww, do you really have to? I want to learn more.”

“Sorry dude. Tomorrow, we’ll practice again.” I told him messing his hair up.

“Okay. I’ll see you tomorrow Mr. Johnson.”

“See you Ryan. Good job today.”

“Thank you.” I waved at him and his mom led me to the door. I got in my car and wrote more rules before driving away.

Within a couple minutes, I reached another student’s house and taught.

Althea’s POV

I’m currently in 2nd period barely paying attention to the teacher. I can’t believe my dad is trying to ‘fix’ our relationship. He should already know by now that he can never bring back the past. I do miss him a little bit but I don’t think we can ever be the same again. He’s gonna have to do a lot of work for our family to be complete again. At seventeen, he’s too late. I’m planning to move out of the house next year after all, I have a part-time job at Hollister and I also babysit every other day. I know I’m ready.