Chapter Nine

CHAPTER NINE

We were dropped off out the front of a very popular bar in the city.  There was a band playing and patrons where dancing and having a good time when we walked in. I was sure the merriment was due to alcohol consumption. 

Ethan escorted me to a vacant booth and  I slid in waiting with anticipation for him to come back with our drinks. He took awhile as this place was busy but it gave me a chance to think about the questions I wanted to ask. Every time he was near me I was so intoxicated by him that I could never remember. 

Like a sleek panther he finally slid into the booth.  Motioning with my hands for him to stop and sit across from me rather that next to me, he raised an eyebrow questioningly but obliged me anyway.

"I can never remember my question's when you are close to me," I answered smiling and shaking my head. I sipped on the fruity cocktail he choose for me. 

Ethan gave a short snicker . "Do you want to kiss me again?” He smirked and took a sip of his dark drink. “Ok ask away...what do you want to know Addison?"

Momentarily perplexed at the thought of kissing his again I rolled my shoulders back and good my brain back to business.  "Who do you work for, why do you travel so much, when was your last relationship...that should do for starters."  

"Where to begin...Ok I’m an executive for an international shipping company, I'm basically the guy they call in when all the problem solvers have reached their limit and need upper management to sort it out.  It's quite an ardent position not to mention time consuming but it's gives me variety.”  He was so serious talking about his work, I watched his adams apple move on a swallow of his drink and bit my lip unthinkingly.  "I don't know what state or country I will be in next...I'm sure you understand, it's also hard to have any kind of longterm relationship."  This was the story of my life in America. 

"I can relate to all of that, there are so many perks to my job but at the end of the day it can get very lonely," I said in earnest.  Ethan scooted around in the booth and sat next to me. Leaning his arm up on the back of the booth he started twirling a wave of my hair in his fingers as he spoke. 

"I have had two semi serious relationships in my life, unfortunately the busier I became at work the less time I could devote to a relationship," he spoke softly. I believed every word he said. 

"So right now your not in a relationship?"

“I was seeing someone before my trip here, it wasn’t working out, we both knew it, its over,” He stated matter of factly swirling his glass with his free hand.  "Addison the only relationship I have truly ever had was with my work,  I devote 70 plus hours a week if not more.  In  truth, I don't have the inclination to date and get to know someone." Hmmm a workaholic, devoted to his job, I’m sure he had women lining up to be his next booty call. 

"So you just sleep with them and leave them?"

"When you say it like that it sounds demeaning.  I prefer to call it a hobby of mine."

I smiled halfheartedly.  I knew he and I weren’t going anywhere but I at least wanted to feel like he would remember the time we did share together.  I know I always would.  Deciding to change  the subject to something a little safer I asked him about family.