Chapter Seven

CHAPTER SEVEN

We walked up George Street, headed for nowhere in particular, Sunday was different in the city, there were no men dressed in their dapper business suits rushing from building to building or women dressed in their killer heels and power suits .  Instead funkily dressed people walked casually around making the city such an eclectic and diverse mix of cultures.

Family’s were out, kids exploring the young history of the City, The War Memorial came into view.  It was a quiet place for contemplation of our forefathers.  Many people were taking pictures of the cenotaph and reading dedications left.

I still wasn’t sure of what planet my brain had left for.  Much less what was I thinking spending the day with this man that I hardly knew. 

“Were are we going now?” I asked Ethan, not really caring so long as he kept hold of my hand and was happy to spend it with me I was good.

“Wherever you would like,” he said smiling and relaxed. I got the feeling he didn’t take time out just to be.  I felt good about this, for once this is living life in the moment...enjoy it I told myself.  I knew exactly where I wanted to go.

“Tiffany & Co it is then,” I said looking straight ahead, I could feel Ethan still smiling.

“I’ve never been there before Addison”. Oh say my name again...

“Thats ok Ethan, lucky I have and I can talk you through it”.

The building sat on two floor’s, the door was opened by the Maitre D, who was security in disguise.  There were rows and rows of glass encased jewelry counters.  All gold and glittery, sparkling with diamonds and precious stones.  Ethan let go of my hand and headed towards the cabinets. 

I loved coming here, if only just to browse, as a young girl I was fascinating with all things that sparkled.  My mum had always brought me into the City and Tiffany & Co was always one of my pilgrimages when I came to Sydney.  Yes there were Tiffany & Co’s all over the world but this one meant the most to me.

I forgot Ethan was with me but felt his presence close by.  I was quite taken with one of the gold rings in the cabinet.  It was one of their most delicate pieces with diamante encircling the entire thin band, it looked very dainty and would only suit a slim hand.  Owning it was more of a fantasy for more and its price sat somewhere over the ten thousand dollar mark.

I sighed and walked on, this was the same ring that was here a year ago and I wondered how many women had accepted happily this gift from their loving man?

I saw Ethan heading up the stairs and admired the way he moved in his jeans and jacket, I guess he was curious.  I knew upstairs only housed the silver jewelry, sunglasses and handbags...they didn’t interest me. 

The sales lady was happy to show me the ring I was admiring.  I almost didn’t want to touch it, she placed with well jewelled fingers, the ring onto a teale velmet mat and pushed it nearer to me.  With a deep sigh I placed the light piece onto my middle finger, I held my hand out to admire it from afar.  I must have been in another world as a two hands sat low on my hips.  I gasped in shock at once and almost bowled Ethan over.

“Addison, I didn’t mean to shock you, are you OK?” Came Ethans warm concerned voice.

I turn to look sheepishly at him, he’d caught me in a day dream and fantasising about this silly ring that was still on my finger, it suddenly felt as heavy as a rock.

“I’m fine, you just surprised me, I thought you were still upstairs,” giggling to try and cover up my embarrassment.

“I was and then I realised that everything of worth was downstairs,” He said turning me to fully face him, still feeling a little foolish I really didn’t want to look up at his too blue eyes.  As if on cue Ethan tugged at my chin with his forefinger hence making it impossible not to meet his gaze.  

His expression wasn’t at all what I expected, his searing blue eyes were invariably searching my own.  At that moment I felt the connection between us, no words were necessary to convey.  I saw it then, Ethan looked vulnerable, he’d been hurt before, 

scorching blue on blue eyes he had made an indelible impression on me.

Breaking the spell Ethan uttered my name.  Shaking my head to free the zinging feelings inside me I scrambled to remember what exactly I was doing and then it came flooding back. Tiffany & Co, pretty sparkly ring...still on my finger!

Turning back to the sales lady and thus reluctantly releasing myself from Ethan’s arms at my waist, she was watching us with quiet jealousy.  

“Want me to wrap it up,” She said looking hopeful at a sale. 

“No...I was just looking, thank you,” And I pulled the ring off and placed it back on its teal colored  velvet carpet.  I abruptly walked away from Ethan and the ring and through the exit door where the crisp autumn air hit me in the face and cleared my head.  

********

Headed back to The Grand, the sun was starting to sink closer to the horizon.  It was late afternoon and the autumn chill was in the air.  The days were beautiful and warm but as soon as the sun went down it was cool.

“Addison,” Ethan said my name questioningly.

“Are you going to ask me out to dinner tonight Ethan,” being bold and brazen felt good and so unlike me.

Ethan’s grin could light up the Opera House. “I don’t want this day to end”. He looked at me and his midnight blue eyes burned straight down to my belly where I could feel my sexual tension simmering.

“Me neither.” And we stopped out the front of The Grand, turning to each other and leaning in until our lips met, kissing hard...like it was the most natural thing in the world.  He broke away first and left me bereft and breathless.

“Pick you up at eight, what room are you in?” He voice was a soft growl as if he was left wanting more.

“201...Penthouse,” I said smuggly letting my hands fall from his chiseled chest.  Ethan raised that perfect eyebrow at me again.

“Seems we are neighbors...shall we,” he said grabbing my hand once again leading me inside the hotel.