Twenty Four

Wesley's POV 

I watched her as she slept, so thankful that she was finally getting some sleep and had been sleeping most of the afternoon. I looked out of the window, it was still light out but I knew it must have been at least 6pm, her mom would be home from work soon. I studied Skye's face, she was pale and had grazes on her left cheek but she was still beautiful. As grateful as I was that she had finally let me in to how she was feeling and let me help her, there was a pit in my stomach knowing I'd have to leave her soon. I assumed she wouldn't want me staying with her any longer than necessary. I propped myself up on my elbow and gently brushed aside the stray hairs that had fallen onto her face. I couldn't stop myself from leaning down and kissing her, brushing my lips lightly across her forehead, knowing I might not get another chance to be this close to her. She stirred and I pulled back, stiffening so as not to wake her fully and cursing myself for kissing her. I watched as her eyes fluttered open and she took in her surroundings, her eyes eventually resting on me. She gave me a sleepy smile and my heart swelled, I wanted to wake up like this for the rest of my life. "Hi" I said softly, smiling back at her, "Hi" she whispered. 

"So, how do you feel?" I asked cautiously, not knowing if I wanted to hear her answer if it was bad. She closed her eyes and thought for a second, "So much better" she exhaled and opened her eyes, looking up at me. I grinned, I was so relieved , "I'm so glad" I told her. "Seriously Wesley. You have no idea how thankful I am that you came over" she started, "Even broken up you're still around to save me" she laughed. Her words were powerful, I knew that no matter what happened I was always going to want to protect her and take care of her. Before I could tell her that I'd always love her and always be there for her, she squealed and gushed about how good it was to be back in her own bed. It didn't take long for her excitement to cause her to wince, grabbing her ribs and cursing. I held back my desire to snap at her to be more careful, she was in such a good mood and it was a joy to see. "How long til they heal?" I asked, pointing at her side, "A few weeks" she told me. She lifted up her singlet to reveal the bruising and cuts, I flinched, "The bruises are almost gone" she explained. "But the doctor said the cuts will leave a few scars, which is just great" she added sarcastically. "I suppose that's what I get for racing home and not paying any attention" she mumbled, lowering her singlet. I wanted to ask her more about that day, why she snuck out of her room, what she was coming home to tell me but I didn't want to bring it up and remind her that this was essentially my fault. 

Skye closed her eyes and was quiet for a few minutes, I knew she was thinking about everything that had happened today. She eventually opened her eyes and took a deep breath, pain flashing across her face briefly causing my breath to catch in my throat. "Wesley" she began to talk, "I am so sorry about earlier. I shouldn't have laid all my crap on you like that" she was apologising unnecessarily. She struggled to sit up and I reached to help her but she pushed my hand away. "You've been amazing, but I have to do things for myself" Skye informed me, her voice serious. She continued and my chest constricted knowing this was the part where she would ask me leave. "This isn't you're problem Wesley. You said it yourself that us not being together is what's best" Skye said softly, avoiding looking at me. She was killing me, I had only been agreeing with what she wanted when I said that, "I want to stay" I admitted to her. I watched as a tear fell onto Skye's cheek, "I can't ask you to stay" she murmured, "Just don't ask me to go" I pleaded. I knew if she asked me to leave that I would do as she wished but until she asked I was staying by her side. She wiped the tear from her cheek in frustration, "Damn it, you'd think I'd have run out of these by now" she mumbled. 

"Skye. SKYE" her mom's panicked voice travelled up to Skye's room, "Up here mom" Skye yelled back. We listened to her mom's footsteps bolting up the stairs and the door flung open. Once she spotted me she smiled, "Wes" she sounded relieved to see me. I stood up to greet her, "Thank god you're here" she whispered as she hugged me tightly. Once she released me she walked over to where Skye was sitting up in her bed, "You look so much better sweet heart" she told her. Skye looked uncomfortable and I wondered if she didn't like the fact that her mom had seen me here, but it wasn't like it was the first time I had been caught in Skye's room. "Wesley was just leaving" Skye blurted out, looking at me then at her mom. My stomach churned, this was my cue to leave and I hated it. "He doesn't have to go" her mom protested, but Skye shut her down, "I'm tired mom. I want to be alone" Skye insisted. Her mom reluctantly nodded and walked towards the bedroom door as I sat on the bed to put my shoes on. "You'd think being in a coma for a week would mean you'd had enough sleep" Phoebe called back over her shoulder. 

I laughed as I stood up, her mom was being dramatic again, "What's so funny?" Skye asked me with a slight smile. I shook my head, "Just your mom, rounding up your days in a coma" I explained to her. Skye looked a bit confused, "Last time I checked 7 days equalled a week" she rolled her eyes. "What?" I was stunned, I quickly did the math in my head, she had definately text me 4 days after the accident. Skye laughed at my confusion, "You know there's 7 days in a week right?" she raised her eyebrows. I sat back down on the bed, my mind was racing and I wasn't sure what was going on. "Are you ok Wesley?" I heard Skye ask through the swirling thoughts in my head. I looked over at her, she was genuinely concerned, "You text me 4 days after the car accident" my voice was quiet. She rolled her eyes, "I haven't text you once since the accident" she responded in disbelief. "Skye, I have your texts on my phone" I felt the need to prove that she was lying, I dug for my phone in my pocket and tossed it to her. "The code is still the same" I informed her and waited while she scrolled through our conversation. Her face changed to one of horror, "I never sent you any of these messages Wesley. I swear". She was adamant, "There's one where I apparently call you Wes. I have never called you that" Skye pointed out and I couldn't believe I hadn't picked up on that, it was a bit suss. Skye went on, "The only one I've seen before is your last one to me, a few days after the accident. That was what I woke up to". I couldn't comprehend what she was saying, she continued, "You have to believe me Wesley. My phone was in my bedroom until Linc brought it to me when I woke up". 

It finally dawned on me, that asshole had her phone the whole time. Lincoln had sent me those texts and must have then deleted them from Skye's phone. He had scurried off to get her things before I had left but hadn't given her the phone until she woke up. I stood up, furious and paced her room, I was going to kill him, I was literally going to kill him. "Wesley" Skye's distressed voice distracted me, and I rushed to sit next to her on the bed. "It was Lincoln" I spat, "He came to get your things the day I left, he knew I had proposed, he sent me those texts" I could barely see straight. All this pain and confusion was all his fault, he had succeeded in breaking me and Skye up finally. "Isn't this a good thing?" Skye asked innocently and I scoffed at her suggestion. "How is this a good thing?" I snapped, "He made you think that I had left you. He kept me from being there for you, stopped me helping you. He made me think the girl I love and want to marry hates me. He confused us both. He ruined everything" I slammed my fist into her bed. Skye giggled, it was a sweet sound but completely inappropriate for the situation, I watched her smiling at me. "How are you not more pissed about this?" I hissed at her. "Did you leave me? Do you want to leave me?" she asked sweetly and I shook my head, of course I didn't. She carried on, "Do you want to be here for me? To help me?" and I nodded. "You know I do Skye" I wished she already knew the answer to that question. "Do you love me? Do you want to marry me?" she questioned me, "More than anything" I told her simply. She hadn't stopped grinning, "And I don't hate you, so now there's no more confusion. And this is only ruined if we let it be" and I finally understood what she was meant.  

I was overcome with happiness, I felt lighter and the pressure on my chest was lifted. I felt dizzy and weak with relief, I laid forward on her bed and put my head in her lap. Skye laughed and ran her fingers through my hair, but fear hit me like a hammer and I shot up. "You don't blame me for what happened to you?" I asked tentatively, my question seemed to annoy Skye. "Not at all, are you crazy?" she rushed her words, "And you don't think us breaking up is what's best for you?" I queried. Skye had to think about her answer, which worried me, but she finally started to speak, "I worry that it's not what's best for you". I exhaled loudly, "Not being with you is the worst thing for me" I confirmed. "Do you love me?" I posed my final question and a grin spread across my face as she nodded. I moved closer to her and pressed my palm to her cheek, looking into her big blue eyes before kissing her softly. "Ask me again" Skye murmured against my lips, and I pulled back, "Do you love me?" I complied with her weird request. She giggled and shook her head, "No, not that question, the other one. The one you asked me before all of this. The one I still haven't answered" she explained looking embarrassed. My heart leapt into my throat, this couldn't mean what I thought it meant, but I hoped with everything I had that it did. "Will you marry me?" my voice was soft and slow, praying this was what she wanted. I waited for what felt like an eternity until she slowly nodded and suddenly I was filled with joy and excitement and love, "Yes" she whispered.

***

Well I hate to do this to you all but it had to happen eventually...that is pretty much it for this story  =(  I will write an epilogue for those of you who are curious as to what happens after this. THANK YOU so much for reading this story (72 chapters in total!!), all the votes and your comments, you're all amazing. I am super appreciative of all the love this story has been getting and your kind words. I have loved writing it for you  <3

Peace xx

***