Eight

Wesley's POV

Skye didn't say anything, she just sat silently next to me and I remembered how frustrating it was when she wouldn't tell me what she was thinking. I was thinking that I wanted to be with her, that I loved her more than anything and this whole tour had been amazing but would have been so much sweeter if I could have had her to talk to about it. I still had no idea why she broke up with me in the first place and Taylor had just told me that Skye wasn't dating Lincoln, insisting I come outside and talk to her. I had raced outside and now that I was here I felt a bit stupid. "You still haven't told me why you broke up with me" I mumbled, breaking the silence and wanting to know what I had done wrong and what I could do to get her back. Skye sighed quietly, "It's just not good timing" she finally admitted after a long pause, my heart raced, "But you still love me?" I questioned her. I know at Spring Break she hadn't wanted me to ask her that but if she did still love me, that was enough for me, I could wait for better timing, whatever that meant. Skye fidgeted and I noticed she was playing with her bracelet, I smiled when I recognised it as the bracelet I got her for Christmas. "Of course I do Wesley, that's never been the issue" Skye said as  if it was obvious, but it made me more confused. I guess there had been a bit of drama during X-Factor and she had struggled with some of her course load being that it was her first year at uni. I could understand why it might be a bit much for her, and now I was on tour a lot, it would be hard to have a boyfriend that's never around.

I finally understood where she was coming from, "I get it, I guess I wasn't much of a boyfriend during X-Factor and you got out quick before the tour started" I admitted reluctantly. Skye's head snapped to look in my direction, "And you have to focus on uni work and make the most of your college experience" I finished with a laugh. I wanted her to know I understood that this wasn't ideal for us and that I didn't blame her for wanting to have the freedom to do what she wanted at uni. Skye began to laugh, causing me to look up, I loved hearing her laugh but I had no idea what was so funny. "You think I broke up with you because I wasn't happy with you as a boyfriend and I wanted to date other people at school?" she giggled. I nodded, still bewildered as to why she was laughing, was I missing the point here? Her giggling finally subsided, "That's not it Wesley. It's just now isn't a good time" she was serious again. She stood up, "Let's just go back inside" she said offering me her hand. I took it and stood up but didn't let her hand go, pulling her back towards me as she tried to walk away. We were face to face and I was determined to get to the bottom of this, I knew we could make this work. "Skye" I began, "I can be better, I can be around more and be more attentive" I sounded desperate. I just needed her to know that if she would just give me another chance I would make sure not to take her away from her uni work and I would make more of an effort. 

Skye yanked her hand from mine, "That's not even it. Just drop it" she insisted as she turned to walk back towards the house. I was so confused, there was nothing else I could really offer but to try more, and I was pissed that it wasn't enough. "Just tell me why you won't be with me and I'll leave you alone" I yelled after her, knowing that it would send me insane if I didn't at least know why. Skye stopped walking but didn't turn to face me, "You swear if I tell you why that you'll leave me alone?" her voice was cold. I didn't want to agree to it, I never wanted to leave her alone but she clearly was never going to be with me so I had nothing to lose. "I swear" I reluctantly agreed, just staring at the back of her, like I had so many times in science class. "Now is not the time for distractions" her words were low and soft, like they made her sad and I didn't want her to feel like this. "I know you need to focus on school work Skye, I understand" I started to comfort her, wanting her to know that I didn't blame her for needing her own space. "You're not the distraction Wesley" she cut me off, "I am" and with that she disappeared into the house. I felt winded, she was the distraction, the words swirled in my head for what felt like ages. Realisation dawned on me slowly, she was doing this so she didn't distract me, she was worried about my future and my focus. I stood, cemented to this spot, for a good 5 minutes before I fully understood what she had done and why.