Thirteen

Skye's POV

I pedalled as fast as I could, distance felt like my friend right now and the further I got away from my house, the less anxious I felt. I knew climbing, well basically falling, out of my window was stupid and immature but I couldn't face Wesley. Half of me wanted to say yes and believe all my dreams could come true but the other half of me, the realist, knew that there was too much going on for it to work. I had school, he was going to be always touring or focusing on music, and no doubt he had a never ending supply of girls throwing themselves at him. I shuddered at the thought, I trusted him but the idea he might one day meet a girl he liked more than me was always in the back of my mind. Plus his proposal had come as a reaction to hearing the news about me and Lincoln, it was out of jealousy or possessiveness and I was sure he'd end up regretting it. I needed to talk to Taylor, she loved Wesley as much as my mom but I knew that she would give me a different perspective. She was all about making the most of her college experience and not settling down, and maybe I needed to hear some of that kind of advice right now.

'Screeeeech' I slammed on the brakes on my bike as a car pulled out of a driveway, damn it, I wasn't paying any attention. I waved a quick apology to the driver before they headed off down the street and began back on my way. I tried to concentrate on the road as I neared Taylor's house, but it was almost impossible seeing as how the last 2 days had been the most bizarre of my life.  I turned on to Taylor's street and and sped up to reach her house, throwing my bike down on the lawn when I pulled up and knocking on her front door. I knocked and a surprised Taylor answered, "Skye, what are you doing here?" she asked, looking around to see if I was alone. I gave her a half smile, "Just wanted to come see you" I said lightly, "You're not busy are you?" I quizzed her suddenly wishing I had texted before hand but I had left my phone at home. I knew she could tell something was on my mind, apparently most people can tell or so I've been told. "No, come on in" she swung the door open wider and let me in, the led me to her room. Once inside I sat on the edge of her bed and she positioned herself on the chair at her computer desk. "So, what's up?" she asked me, and that was all I needed, I threw myself backwards on her bed. "Everything is just so crazy right now" I exclaimed and threw my arms across my face, hoping shielding my eyes from the word would make me invisible.

Taylor didn't say anything, she just waited for me to go on, but I got nervous about telling her. "Wesley asked me to marry him" I whispered and shrunk down into her bed hoping it would swallow me up. "Whaaaaaaat?" she squealed and I felt the bed bounce as she launched herself onto it, she slowly removed my arms from my face and looked down at me. I just shook my head, "What do I say to that?" I asked her, hoping to hear a you're-too-young speech. "You say yes" she screamed and threw herself down to lay next to me. This was not what I expected, I rolled onto my side to face her, "Really?" I sounded disappointed, although part of me wished I could just listen to her and do it. She sat up, and I followed, "You don't want to marry Wes?" she asked me seriously. I shrugged, I did but I was scared, "I don't know". Taylor sighed, "Skye" she started and I settled in for the lecture, "Yes you're young and yes you both have a lot going on. But you love each other and you're perfect for each other, you've already been through a lot and you're back together. He wants to be with you forever, which should be enough for you to know that he'll do whatever he can to make it work and I know you'll do the same. You just have to trust him and love him, that's all, plus he's a good guy and he's mental hot" she finished. I smiled, "Yes, he is" I giggled, and realised she had made some very valid points, other than that he was hot. 

"And I want to be a bridesmaid, so please say yes" she pleaded with me in a whiny voice, making me laugh again. I wanted to say yes, everything she said made sense but I was still plagued with doubts. "What if he has to tour a lot?" I asked her seriously, she rolled her eyes, "Then you'll go with him or Skype him or he'll come home in between shows". Her answer seemed simple enough, "He did already ask me to go on tour for a few weeks at the end of summer" I admitted, Taylor smiled, "See, there you go, he's already thinking about that stuff". I carried on, "But what if he has thousands of girls throwing themselves at him?". Taylor patted my head like I was a little child, "Oh Skye, he had that all through school but he picked you. He had that all through XFactor but he didn't notice because he loved you. And he had that for the 5 months you were broken up and Drew said he never once hooked up with another girl because all he wanted was you", her voice was gentle. "I think you're safe there. He's yours kiddo", she added and I winced at the nickname. Taylor was making me feel a whole lot better but I still had one last nagging question, I took a deep breath, knowing I was about to expose an insecurity that I hated sharing. "What if he just realises he doesn't want me anymore?" I sighed, knowing it was a possibility, I mean my own dad had felt like that.

Taylor wrapped her arm around me, "That won't happen" she assured me, "But it could" I protested. I felt Taylor shift next to me as she thought of how to respond. "Sure, I guess it could happen but that could happen whether you marry him or not. But the fact he wants to marry you is a pretty good sign that he doesn't think it will happen" she explained. She was right, I smiled, Wesley asking me was really the best evidence that he believed that he wanted to be with me forever. That's all I could really ask for right now, and it was the same way I felt about him. Tayor's phone beeped on her computer desk so she got up and checked it as I worked through all the things she had just said. I began grinning uncontrollably, I was being so stupid, of course I was going to say yes. I watched her, just grinning like an idiot, as she replied to whoever had text her. When she was done she put her phone in her pocket and looked at me, slowly matching my grin as she realised what this meant. She ran and tackled me onto the bed, "You're going to say yes. You're going to say yes" she screamed, making me giggle. Once the giggling had subsided, we laid there quietly for a few seconds, "Yes, I am going to say yes" I told her and the giggling started up again.

Taylor wanted to start discussing wedding plans, which was of course, completely too soon. So instead she settled for an very detailed recount of how exactly he proposed. I told her about what happened when he came over after the party, the bits about Lincoln and the fight and then the conversation in the kitchen. After we squealed and giggled a bit more I told her I had to go, I had to get home to tell Wesley my decision. Suddenly I couldn't wait to say yes, it felt like it could be the start of something amazing, of everything I ever wanted. I thought about it on the ride home, how at the beginning of last year I hadn't even wanted a boyfriend and now I realised Wesley was all I wanted. I smiled at how much had changed since the day in science when Wesley took my detention. I thought about Wesley, soft brown hair, warm eyes and the most hear breaking smile I'd ever seen, how had I gotten so lucky. And not only was he hot as hell but he was sweet and funny and loving and made me feel safe whenever I was with him.  I pedalled faster, just wanting to be home, wanting to see him more than anything and then tell him yes. I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't see the car pulling out from the side street until it was too late. I panicked, I tried to swerve and brake, everything happened so fast and yet some how it felt like it was in slow motion. Noises jumbled together, my body was weightless and then in immense pain and then.....blackness